Chapter 9

I opened my eyes and looked up at the ceiling. I wasn't ready to face the others yet. I finally went downstairs. My parents were arguing. There were magazines spread out all over the coffee table in the living room. They didn't see me at the bottom of the stairs. I figured that Heather was in the kitchen somewhere. She didn't like to see people arguing. They were arguing about me. My hands rested on my temples. I heard my dad talking about bad publicity for their new movie. My fingers squeezed in on my temples. I finally couldn't take it anymore. I stood and stormed in between them.

"Stop it!" I yelled. "If anyone should be mad at me, it should be me. Please, don't argue over me."

"We're sorry sweetie," my mom said softly after a minute of silence. I turned to my dad.

"And it's good to know that I'm more important than your precious new movie," I added before I walked into the kitchen. I saw a magazine on the kitchen counter. The cover story was me. I threw it on the floor and gratefully ate the breakfast Heather handed me. My phone rang. It was Denver. I sighed and picked it up.

"Am- Leana is it true?" he asked nervously. I bit my bottom lip. I knew what he was talking about.

"Denver, I don't want to talk about it," I answered softly.

"Well, I do," he argued. "Why didn't you tell me?" His voice softened.

"I told you why; I was scared. I didn't know how to tell you," I explained. I was suddenly aware of everyone listening to me. I sighed and went upstairs to my room.

"I would've understood," he said. "Why did you leave Alera?"

"I couldn't take it anymore," I answered truthfully. "I don't like lying, especially not to you. Plus, Claire's back, and she did get back at me. She told the whole school my secret. Then the... baby as well; I needed some time to think to myself." I heard silence on the other line.

"I get it now," he finally said. "You were scared. No one could blame you for that. But just to let you know, in the future, you can tell me anything." I sighed; I knew that.

"Will you... umm... will you come down here so we can talk face to face?" I asked nervously.

"Of course, but I don't have the money right now-"

"Don't worry about it," I cut it. "I'll e-mail you the ticket. See you later?" There was a short pause on the other end.

"Later," he promised. I quickly e-mailed him the ticket and got dressed for bed. I didn't bother to tell everyone; they would find out in the later anyway. I turned my Ipod on and put my head phones in. I blasted my music until everything else around me was drowned out. I quickly fell asleep.

~

The next morning, I woke up with my music still blasting. I turned over and turned it off. I took a shower and brushed through my hair. After finishing up in the restroom and getting dresses, I took Coco to the park. After releasing her into the doggy park, I sat on a swing. It was still pretty early in the morning, so no kids were playing yet.

"So Leana the Great returns to her humble abode," I heard a voice say from behind me. I turned in my seat to see Teddy. I had known Teddy ever since I could remember. I smiled when I saw him. I really did miss seeing him. With his blonde hair and blue eyes, he was the perfect candidate for All-American Boy. He sat in the swing next to me and smiled back.

"Teddy," I smiled childishly. He laughed. "I missed you." I sighed. He leaned over and kissed my forehead. I smiled wider and leaned into him.

"I missed you too, Leah," he whispered. "How have you been?" I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"I'm knocked up, and I'm a wreck," I answered truthfully. He sighed and put his hand through his hair.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Physically, I'm fine; but mentally, I'm literally a mess," I laughed humorlessly. He looked genuinely concerned. "I'm okay though. Meet me back here in two days and I'll let you know how I am." We stood and walked to the doggy park. After getting Coco, Teddy walked me to my house.

"Well, it was nice seeing you again," Teddy smiled when we reached my door. I nodded and hugged him. His lips found my cheek. I blushed and said a final goodbye and walked inside. I spent the rest of my day in my room. I quickly fell asleep in my bed.

~

Thoughts of Denver coming today woke me up. I sat up and brushed through my hair. After putting it in a ponytail, I dressed in my long fuzzy pajama pants and a black v-neck. The shirt showed my protruding belly. It didn't matter anymore. I sighed and walked halfway down the stairs. I heard voices discussing something; no doubt, it was probably me. Denver must be here. I sat on the middle step and listened.

"So you're Denver," I heard my dad say.

"Yes sir," I heard Denver reply.

"I don't have a choice anymore, I just have to deal with you being in her life," my dad said. "But let's get one thing straight right now. You will not hurt my little girl. If I find out you did..." I decided that now would be a good time to cut in. I walked down the stairs; deliberately making each step loud enough for them to hear. My father was silent and everyone watched me descend the rest of the staircase. Denver stood and walked to me.

"Umm... let's give them some time," my mom suggested pushing everyone into the kitchen. I looked into Denver's gray eyes. God, I missed those eyes.

"I'm sorry," he said softly. I hugged him like I usually did. He held me close to him. I didn't want to let him go. I buried my head into him shoulder. "I shouldn't have-" I quickly shushed him by putting a finger to his lips. I seemed to cry a lot lately. A tear fell from my eye.

"It doesn't matter," I said. I left the stairs and went to sit on the couch.

"Was it the Summit?" he asked. I nodded.

"Yeah, two months," I said under my breath. He sighed.

"You don't have to go through this alone, you know?" he said after a while. I knew he might feel this way now but things change.

"I know, but I do still wish we could go back to the way we were. Before ...this, before Claire," I said. I got sidetracked easily. "Speaking about Claire, how horrified was her face when she heard you were leaving?" He laughed.

"She was really mad. She turned so red I thought she would explode," he laughed amusing me. The conversation turned serious again. "Leana, I never stopped loving you." Tears of happiness came to my eyes. I fought to keep them at bay. A smiled played at the corners of my lips.

"Even with everything that's happened, you're still going to take a chance on me?" I asked quietly. He smiled and nodded.

"And I especially wouldn't leave you now," he assured. I leaned over and hugged him. He kissed my forehead like he used to do. A warm feeling traveled threw my body. When it reached my knees, they buckled. He held me up as I started to fall. I blushed. The others started to come into the room. He set me back down on the couch.

"Denver, honey, why don't you clear it with your parents to stay with us for the summer. Maybe we can clear this entire thing up and you'll be able to start over with Leah," my mom suggested. He nodded and went to the study to call.