Chapter 4

"Well isn't this a lovely surprise. Hi Amber," she said giving an evil smile. "Don't look so surprised." I turned and faced her with my hands on the sink to hold me up.

"Claire," I breathed. I was in shock. She walked closer to me with her arms folded. She didn't look mean. She was wearing a solid purple skirt with a white v-neck shirt. Her face, however, told a different story. Her wavy blonde hair flowed easily a little past her shoulders.

"Why so shocked?" she asked. The bell rang for lunch to be over. She walked up to me till she was right in my face. "Let's get something straight right now... Amber. Denver is off limits for you. If you try anything, I'll be sure to find out. If that happens, I'll find out everything about you. Something about you doesn't sit right with me." She walked out without another word. I thought about this for a minute. I tried to think if I should stay away. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it. My breathing quickened. I would have to just deal with whatever the consequences. I left the bathroom hesitantly. I checked the hallways and went straight to the office when I saw that Claire was long gone. Denver was filing through paperwork for Mrs. Jones. I must have looked scared or frightened because Denver put the papers down and walked into the empty print room. I followed him in and closed the door behind me. I took a deep breath and released it.

"What happened?" he asked worried. I shook my head.

"Claire met up with me in the bathroom," I stated trying now to let my voice shake. My voice didn't shake, my body did. He held me close to him as he leaned up against the wall. I let my head rest on his chest as I shook. The trembles calmed a little. I looked up at him and took a step back. I ran my fingers through my hair and rubbed my arm.

"What did she say?" he asked putting his hands in his pockets. I sat on the floor against the wall. I wrapped my arms around my knees and sighed.

"She... she just threatened me to stay away from you if I wanted my... never mind," I explained hesitantly. I didn't really know how to explain without him asking questions about the matter. He looked at me confused. I shook m head. I didn't want him to ask. "What did she say to you?" I continued trying to change the subject.

"She told me I was an idiot and that I didn't know what I was getting myself into. She said I was making the biggest mistake of my life then slapped me," he explained. He sighed and sat next to me. He wrapped him arm around me as I leaned my head against him.

"I'm sorry," I sighed. "This is all my fault. I didn't want to make things difficult." His other arm came around me and he gave a little chuckle.

"I brought this on myself for not telling her I only wanted to be friends from the start," he smiled at me. "It's not your fault." I smiled back. I sighed and closed my eyes briefly. The bell, for the last period to start, rang. We stayed hidden in the print room. He caressed my face when my body tensed up. I played with a strand of my hair. We sat in silence. No one bothered to use the main office print room, so we were left alone.

"Let's go," he finally suggested. School wasn't over yet, but we were going to leave anyway. He walked behind me with his hands in his pockets. Mrs. Jones saw us come into the office from the inside. She looked worried.

"Is everything okay?" she asked setting her papers down. I gave a single nod without bothering to smile. She didn't look convinced but she let the subject go.

"Is it okay if I take Amber home early today?" Denver asked her simply. Hearing him say Amber made my stomach churn. She nodded and picked her papers back up. Once we were outside, I looked up at his face and smiled. I faced him and leaned against my car. He placed his hands on my waist. My hands rested on his chest.

"We'll make this work," he whispered. I smiled as his lips touched mine gently. He smiled and moved to open my door. I got in and he got in the driver's side. We were riding in my car. He drove us to the house. Heather was confused when we walked in.

"What are you two doing home so early? School doesn't get out for another hour," she stated confused as we walked in. Denver gave a small chuckle.

"Amber wasn't feeling well," he smiled. I nudged him and he laughed. He sat on the couch as I followed Heather into the kitchen. She handed me a plate of cookies and the phone. She leaned in close.

"Your parents called. You need to call them back after Denver leaves," she whispered. I nodded and set the phone on the counter. I took the plate of cookies and went back into the living room. I sat next to Denver and set the cookies down. He laughed and picked one up. His face brightened. I took it from him and took a bite. I laughed when he tried to get the cookie back. His struggled to get the cookie back but I had it a good ways away from his hand. I leaned up a little and kissed him. My hands went up to his neck. We stayed there until I heard Heather clear her throat. His lips parted from mine and I laughed. I turned over on my side. I ran my fingers through my wavy hair. Heather was standing at the edge of the living room.

"Umm... Amber, too much," she said. I laughed at her and stood up. I popped in a movie and sat back down next to Denver. I yawned and leaned my head over on his shoulder. My eyes slowly closed.