Chapter 7

Ashley and Sydney woke me the next day. Today, we would all ski together. I waited patiently on the sidelines while the others took a skiing lesson. I took a picture of me and sent it to my parents and Heather. After their lesson was over, we skied down the easy trail. I could ski better than the others, but I stayed with them. After everyone was exhausted from skiing, we sat around the fireplace in the lobby. Sipping the hot chocolate gratefully, we chatted about different subjects. The rest of the trip went on like this. We slept, skied, talked, and then watched movies all night. On New Year's Eve, Denver took me to our place in the sun room on the top of the lodge. We could hear the people all over the mountain counting down to the New Year.

"You know they say that if you kiss your true love on New Years then the two will be together forever," he smiled. I heard the shouts of the New Year below us. I saw the fireworks go off in the distance. I leaned over and pressed my lips to his. I was hungry for his touch, for his breath against my skin. When I was with him, all of my barriers and walls didn't exist. I figured maybe that wasn't such a bad thing.

~

The night flew by. The next thing I knew, Denver was carrying me inside the house. The others went home tired. Denver stayed with me and Heather. I slept threw the whole day. I tossed and turned the whole day. I didn't feel good at all. Heather finally took my temperature after I broke out in a sweat. I had a fever. After the first day, Denver left to go home. He came back the next day to give Heather a break. I opened my eyes and looked at him.

"Hey," he whispered a smile. "How are you feeling?" He asked. I sighed. He kissed my forehead and started playing with a strand of my hair.

"A little better," I whispered. I tried to sit up, but his hand held me down. I looked at his confused.

"Don't," he said. I sighed and took the medicine that Heather held up to my lips. I felt drowsy. I knew Heather did that on purpose.

"Heather," I mumbled angrily. When Heather thought I was asleep, she started talking to Denver.

"What exactly happened at the Summit?" she whispered angrily and worried. "Why is she sick like this?"

"I don't know," Denver replied. "She was fine up until we got back. Maybe she just picked up a bug in the airport or something." I could hear Heather sigh.

"That's not what I meant," she said quietly between clenched teeth. I could tell by the silence that Denver understood what she was talking about.

"Oh, I see where you're going. It's... not like that," he replied. I heard a beeping before I lost what consciousness I was holding onto and fell asleep.

~

I woke up the next morning waiting on more medicine to be put down my throat. I certainly felt better. I sat up and looked around. Denver was asleep in the chair. I couldn't see Heather, but I could hear her talking to someone on the phone. I got closer to the study so I could hear what she was saying.

"No, no, I know," she sighed. "I tried to give it to her but she left it here... I know she's only 16... Yes, I'll try, but... okay... yes ma'am. I'll try... bye." I could hear her walk towards the door. I tip toed as quickly as I could to the couch. I sat down and yawned. I learned by the worried look on her face that she was talking to my mom.

"Hi sweetie; how are you feeling?" she whispered.

"Better," I replied. She handed me a glass of water. I drank it as she eyed Denver cautiously.

"Why were you so... sick earlier?" she asked hesitantly. I sighed and shrugged. "Your parents are really worried about how... serious you and Denver are getting. They think that... they want to know if anything happened at the Summit." I looked down and bit my lip.

"Nothing," I said avoiding her eyes. I looked at her worried face again. "Okay, something, but it's nothing to worry about." She looked even more worried than she did before.

"Leana Annmarie Michelson, are you crazy," she said. I shushed her quickly. "That's exactly my point! He doesn't even know the real you." She whispered again. Tears sprung to my eyes unexpectedly.

"Everything about me here is real. I've never felt more like a normal human being in my life," I argued a little louder than was necessary. "When I was with my parents, I felt fake. Like nobody cared about me, just my last name. Well, guess what? Denver liked me for me, not for my last name." the tears fell from my eyes. She looked like she regretted ever bringing it up.

"I'm sorry," she whispered avoiding my gaze. I wiped away my tears quickly.

"It's not your fault. You've been nothing but good to me, but if you really think that... I might've slipped up, I'll take a... pregnancy test when he leaves," I whispered. After Heather handed me another glass of water, I pretended to be asleep. Heather woke Denver.

"Denver, Denver wake up," she whispered. I could hear him shuffling. I heard him murmur. "Denver, you have school tomorrow and she's not going to wake up anytime soon. You should probably head home."

"I'm not leaving her," I heard him say. Hearing him say this did two things to me; it torn my heart and made it swell.

"I call you and let you know if anything happens. You should go home for now," she whispered. I heard him agree and leave. I sat up as soon as I hear his car drive off. Heather left and went to the store. She returned shortly with the pregnancy test. I went to the bathroom and reluctantly took it. I didn't wait in the bathroom for the results. I handed it to Heather and went upstairs to my room. She came up after a while with the test in her hand. She looked terrified.

"Positive," she whispered. Terror ran through my body. For some reason, I didn't want to believe her. I sat on my bed and buried my face in my hands. She threw the test away and sat in the chair by the dresser. I sighed and wiped away the tears that sprung into my eyes. I composed my face enough to look at Heather.

"Heather, you can't tell anyone. And I mean no one, my parents, a doctor, especially not Denver," I said. She nodded in agreement.

"You should probably get some sleep," she sighed changing the subject. "You have school tomorrow." She left the room without another word. I sighed and got ready for bed. That night was full of nightmares instead of dreams.