Chapter 18

Sunlight burst through the curtains, piercing my eyes.

I flung my arm over my face and groaned, trying to get back under the covers.

"Get up. We have to go." A man's voice said from the foot of the bed.

Christian had gotten us a different room, two rooms actually, but with a connecting door last night.

Smart man. Otherwise, I might've murdered him in his sleep last night.

"Five more minutes," I said, rolling over.

"I won't ask again. Get up and start packing."

"Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?" I asked as I stretched and shoved the blankets off me, swinging my feet off the side of the bed.

He ignored me.

"Where are we going?"

"Somewhere safe."

He disappeared into the bathroom.

A few moments later, he called out.

"Are you packing?"

"No. Until you tell me where we're going."

"I already told you it's somewhere safe, Aimee, and that's all you need to know."

"But...what about my family?"

Christian shook his head, in the process of shrugging on a t-shirt.

I looked away, trying to be polite or whatever.

We definitely didn't want a repeat of last night happening, that was for sure, especially with the way he was acting now.

"We need to get to Reader Nation as soon as possible."

"But—what about the Verlac's?"

"I don't think they have your family. Besides, there's nothing you and I can do about it. We'll need the King's help if we are to face the Verlacs."

"That'll take longer!" I protested.

I hated how whiny I sounded but I couldn't just run away and forget all about my family and go hide in a castle somewhere like a coward.

"It's the best course of action. Be smart about this, Aimee."

"Brandon said Verlac's wife was ill. He's a man racing against the clock. My family might not have much longer."

"Aimee," He said, sounding irritated. "It's been decided. We're going to Reader Nation. Now pack."

"But you promised me you'd help me find them and now you're just giving up!"

"I'm not giving up. I'm trying to keep you alive." He threw his arms up in exasperation.

"Don't lie to me."

"What?"

"It's less—it's less work to simply deliver me to this Henric guy. You're taking the easy way out. The coward's way."

Christian paused over his suitcase.

Anger transformed his face into a sneer.

"You know what? You're right. It would be much easier. I'm growing tired of babysitting you."

My jaw clenched.

"Babysitting me." I repeated.

"That's right. You're a child, whiny and disrespectful."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know I owed you any type of respect."

"You know what, Aimee, yeah, you do, because without me you'd be dead right now."