Chapter 38

The way to the stables turned out to be a maze of footprints, which revealed a pebble-stoned path that had been buried by snow.

Icy wind whipped strands of hair into my eyes as we neared the stables, a few miles out from Dannek castle which was impressive from a distance, superimposing and maybe even a bit frightening up close.

It sat on a flatland, somewhere in the middle of the Carpathian mountains and was made of dark brick, worn away by years of exposure. Round towers whose spikes stretched into the sky highlighted each corner of the massive stone structure like spears ready for war.

Where parts of the brick had been worn away, I could see the brittle stems of plants too weak to withstand the harsh winter months.

If I had to guess the distance, I'd say the stables were two miles away from the main castle and the path there was difficult, at least for me.

Slowly, I trudged behind Daciana.

Apparently, my half soulsucker genes were useless and provided no additional grace, my boots sinking into several feet of snow while she practically glided over the terrain.

Scowling, I cast a glance over my shoulder, at the sight of a slowly lightening sky on the horizon.

Soft flakes of snow fell from the heavens, settling like fog over an expansive bridge that connected the southern part of Dannek Castle to land.

A frozen moat idled beneath the bridge, and even from this distance it's stillness was unnerving. It's surface was like a black mirror, reflecting the suns weak rays back into the atmosphere.

"This way, hurry." It was Christian's voice who drew me from my thoughts.

He stood at the stable entrance, hand gesturing for us to move faster, his black hair dusted by white snow, his jaw set in a way that made his cheekbones more pronounced.

"Holy crap, you never told me your home was so, well, it's--"

"Please don't say magical." Daciana groaned as she glided past Christian and I and into the stables.

"Well it isn't Disneyland, that's for sure." I responded.

Pausing, she looked over her shoulder. "Disney-what?"

"Never mind."

Christian placed a hand on the small of my back that sent an electric current through me. Imagines of my shirt coming apart like butter between his slim fingers crept into my mind.

Briefly, his eyes met mine, darkening, and an angry blush traveled up my neck and onto my cheeks when I realized he'd probably heard that.

"Get inside." He said, voice low.

Stepping into the stables, though open at both its northern and southern ends, was considerably warmer than outside.

Upon entering, I found the source of the heat, several heat lamps, glowing red and nestled into each corner of the stables.

"Chris's doing." Daciana said with a flip of her hand when she saw me staring. "Loves these horses more than he loves people, I think."

Casting a glance at Christian as he hurried down the stables, I could see the tension in his shoulders, but despite it all, also the small smile that tugged up the corner of his mouth at Daciana's words.

"Not true, Ciana. I love you more than Windspear."

"Windspear is your slowest horse." She muttered dryly.

When Christian reached the last stable, he drew the door open, gesturing us through.

On the other side, I found a group of people sitting on blocks of hay.