Chapter 13

Christian laid out an assortment of dresses on the bed for me to choose from but a sequined gold one immediately caught my eye.

I ran my fingertips over it, mesmerized by the beads which cast rainbows in every direction, fingers gliding down the generous V-neck, down the slit over where the left thigh would go.

Christian cleared his throat.

"Don't mean to interrupt your moment but we do have to get going. Reservation is at seven."

I snatched the dress off the bed, shot him a look and went into the bathroom.

After some rummaging, I found my make-up the bottom of my bag and hurried to get it done quickly.

Once I'd slipped into the dress, I struggled with the zipper, only able to get it up about half way before I gave up and focused on my hair.

When that was done, I stole a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

My black hair cascaded down my back in curls. The eye shadow I'd chosen brought out the blue specks in my eyes and my lips looked perfectly round and plump.

On the outside, I was put together, beautiful.

Stunning, even.

But inside I was a mess.

I was nervous about what we would learn from Brandon tonight.

Nervous about what was happening to my mother and Taylor each day that I didn't find them.

Sighing, I slipped on a pair of heels, smoothed out the dress and stepped outside.

I found Christian by the window, one hand peeling back the curtain as he studied something below with deep concentration.

He turned and let the curtain fall down at the sound of my footsteps and his eyes swept along my body, from my toes, up along my legs and finally up to my face.

Something about the intimate way his eyes raked my body should have made me self-conscious yet all I felt was a giddy satisfaction.

The same satisfaction I felt anytime a man admired my beauty.

But yet it was amplified with him.

Maybe it was because he was so beautiful himself.

To have someone who looked like him, look at me that way, somehow made me feel more confident.

"You clean up nice." He said, tearing his eyes away.

"I know." I shrugged.

"I forget how arrogant faeries can be." He said while shaking his head. "I think the words you are looking for are thank you."

He looked down to the watch on his wrist as he readjusted it.

A dark blue suit clung to his body, carefully tailored to fit over each muscle with a powder blue dress shirt peeking through his suit jacket.

His hair was combed back and sleek, different from his usual I-just-got-out-of-bed-but-still-manage-to-look-this-good tousle.

He cleaned up nice himself, like a gentleman in a black and white movie, circa the 1920′s, though, of course, I'd never admit that to him aloud.

"A little help?" I asked as I turned on my heels, swept my hair away, giving him a clear view of my exposed back.

He must have hesitated because it took him a moment to reach me but then he was there, right behind me, a slight brush of air the only indication of his movements.