Chapter 12

The sky was raining blood.

My eyes flung open, not of their own accord, but by Ally's doing.

Her presence whispered in my ear causing goose bumps to rise all across my flesh, from head to toe.

Christian had pulled the huge hotel curtains back earlier to let in moonlight and through them I could see fat, red drops sliding across the glass like tears.

My body moved without permission.

I climbed out of bed, my feet padding silently along the plush carpet.

Struggling, I sent the signal from my brain to my feet to stop but nothing happened.

I was no longer in control here, Ally was and everything about that terrified me to my core.

I reached the attached balcony, swinging the doors open to get a better look at the rain.

That can't be right, I thought.

This must be a vision.

Below, a resort style pool collected drops of rain water. The water was beginning to change colors, a soft pink stream visible against the blue.

The separate towers of the Cesar's Palace glimmered white and gold under the light of the stars.

I stuck my arm out over the balcony, palm up.

A drop plopped onto it.

It was thick and viscous, like the blood when a bloody nose starts to clot.

A few passersby below appeared to take no note of the sky crying blood.

I could feel Ally's presence within me yet it wasn't until I peered over the railing that I saw her ghostly form.

She rose out of the pool like an apparition straight out of my worst nightmares.

Her blonde hair was colored strawberry blonde from the water. Her dress was coated in blood and her prepubescent face was crying tears of red.

She'd remained frozen this way.

They all had.

Grams, Dad and Ally all looked the same as the day they'd died.

Their ghosts had never aged.

Ally ascended like an angel of war now, up and up until she was floating in midair before me.

"Ally," I whispered. "It's raining blood."

"That's because we're all so sad."

"Why? Why are you sad?"

Ally's eyes scanned me, the look in them heartbroken.

"Because you're in danger, Aimee."

"I know," I said as I nodded my head. "Some bad people are after me but it's going to be ok."

"No," She mused. "It won't be. You're in danger and you need to go back home."

"I know." I repeated, more gently. "I just need to find my family and then I'll go back to Oregon. I promise."

"You're not safe here!"

I jumped back, her sudden wail piercing my ear drums.

"You're not safe here." Ally's eyes cast past me and into the room.

I followed her gaze, only seeing the lavish hotel room. Part of the comforter had come lose while I slept and brushed the floor and the white curtains billowed in the breeze.