Chapter 44

"A lot has happened while you were asleep." Chris said as he slipped his pants back on and buckled them.

"Did he have a funeral?" I asked as I sorted through the fresh clothes one of the maids had brought me. Since he had, after all, ripped my dress to shreds.

"Yes. It was a whole event with Readers from all over the world coming to say goodbye."

"And your mother? Does she know the truth?"

Buttoning up his shirt, he shot me a gentle look. "Aimee, my mother was as relieved as any of us when I sent word. Thankful even." He strode towards me and gave my cheek a small stroke. "Stop worrying about this. It's not like anyone will miss him. Plus, we've had more pressing matters."

"Like?"

He drew in a deep breath. "Like two vampires being murdered as they were leaving Dannek Castle after the funeral. We've had a string of these murders for some time now but it's becoming more and more frequent. The killer is getting bold."

"What, like, a vampire serial killer?"

"I'm afraid so," He responded, eyebrows drawing together.

"Well shit."

"I know. As if the transfer of power wasn't already enough of a headache, I have to constantly reassure Reader nation that they're safe."

"What can I do to help?"

"You're already doing it." He said as he shrugged into his jacket, combing his fingers through his messy black hair.

I shot him a question mark look, prompting him to go on.

"While I lead this investigation the best thing you can do is stay here and lay low. Just because Henric is gone doesn't mean there aren't other threats. You remember why Hyrbids are so coveted, right?"

"Because my power can be used as a weapon."

Cupping my face, he kissed my forehead. "Right. But as long as you're here inside Dannek castle I can keep you safe. Now that I have an entire army at my disposal, I have every intention of using it if anyone so much as looks at you wrong."

I smiled, slipping my arms around his shoulders so I could peck him on the lips.

"Have I ever mentioned I love your white knight complex?"

"You might've mentioned something about a knight in shining leather once or twice." He teased.

I smacked his chest.

"When did you steal that from my head?"

"You used to think it all the time. Especially when I'd do something heroic." He winked and I laughed.

"Alright, knight in shining leather, let's go, I'm starving."

"Wait," he said, gripping my waist and pulling me back around to face him before I could walk out the door. "There's something we need to do first. It's important."

"Okay, tell me."

"There's someone here to see you. It's your friend." He said, scanning my face. "Damian."

I exhaled a long breath, planting my hands on his chest "Okay. So, I didn't imagine him being here the other night. Okay."

"He refuses to leave until he speaks with you."

"So, is he one of them, then?"

"If you mean a Defender, then yes. Damian is your Defender."

"My defender? What does that mean?"