Chapter 39

The last I saw of Christian was his hunched form as they hauled him away from me at the entryway of Dannek castle.

Desperately, I glanced over my shoulder but I could no longer see him.

Henric, accompanied by two guards, marched me through the castle in silence.

One vampire guard kicked open a set of double doors. Sensing the prison, I revolted, struggling against their hold only to get back handed into the room.

With my cheek burning, I spun, flung my magic at Henric through the open doorway, a powerful bolt that should have dropped him to his knees.

Instead, the magic dissolved into an invisible barrier that shimmered with the remnants of my magic.

On the other side of the open doors, Henric's lips split into a snake-like grin.

"You are your mother's daughter and I don't mean that as a compliment."

"And you are a pathetic jilted lover and that's also not a compliment. Where have you taken Christian?"

"You shouldn't concern yourself with that." Henric said, the sneer falling off his face. "Focus instead on how you're going to kill him."

A bitter laugh escaped my lips. "I won't do it."

"I suspect you will. In fact, I suspect he'll beg you to."

"Never," I said, shaking my head. "He'd never ask me to do that. And you'll have a hard time making me do anything I don't want to do. But maybe you already knew that. From Liana."

Henric chuckled but it wasn't a kind sound. It was hollow and cold, the way the wind howled at night.

"Oh, he will ask. And if you don't, I will kill his siblings in front of him."

Involuntarily, I took a step back as if he'd slapped me.

"Those are your children." I said, stunned. "Christian is your son."

"I can have others." He responded, with a nonchalant wave of his hand. "Less treacherous ones preferably. Now rest up, you have a long day tomorrow."

"Henric, wait!"

Henric's stepped paused, his back to me.

"Kill me instead. That's what you've always wanted, isn't it? To punish my mother for what she did to you? She betrayed you. The worst kind of betrayal, actually." I let out a small chuckle. If I could just goad him into the room, I'd have a real shot at killing him.

"I guess you were the lesser king. You had to be if she chose a Soulsucker over you."

"Silence, you little bitch!"

Henric spun around so fast he blurred, coming at me towards the invisible barrier. It was only out of sheer willpower that he stopped himself before crossing the threshold, his entire body shaking with anger.

"And in that, you differ from your mother." He said slowly, a steely calm washing over him as he composed himself once again.

Calmly, he clasped his hands in front of his robes. "She knew better than to antagonize me with her words. You will kill Christian. Not tomorrow but tonight, by nightfall."

The worst kind of torture was knowing that my big mouth had cost me one less day to find a way to save Christian.

Convincing Henric that his hatred for my mother was stronger than his need to punish Christian had failed. Apparently, Henric had enough room in his heart to do both.