Chapter 20: Too Much

Chapter 20

Nathalie's POV

    Today, I just realized two things; that I didn't know anything about Ericka at all, I used to think I got her figured out but I was wrong. Second, I'm selfish; I didn't want her to move on. I didn't want her to leave me. I didn't want to be alone. A selfish bitch, that's what I really am. We stayed close to each other for another couple of minutes; listening to her heartbeat and the rhythm of her breathing is satisfyingly relaxing. All of a sudden, a tingly feeling sparks in my chest; like a bomb of butterflies exploded from my chest.

It all came back to me; those distant memories that took me aback to the day I met her.

I was in my freshman year; I studied at the same university as Claire. The whole school was very busy preparing for the sport's fest. Claire was a class president so she tend to be so busy; running errands for the faculty and whatsoever. Well, I was supposed to be part of that too, but I ditched it; my role wasn't really that important, anyway. I roamed around the school alone and I ended up on an abandoned building that seemed to be the building for the College of Architecture decades ago. As an adventure loving kid that day, I explored the building 'cause it definitely intrigued me. And my instincts didn't fail me; it was a secret rendezvous for horny couples and it was a perfect place to make out. My feet took me into a wide garden behind the abandoned building. Kung saan ko nakita ang isang babaeng nakahandusay sa lupa sa ilalim ng isang malaki at mukhang matandang puno. I panicked. Mabilis kong pinuntahan ang walang malay na babae.
    Oh my God, is she dead? Oh shit, what if she's raped?
Tinapik-tapik ko ang noo niya. She's not moving. Sinampal-samapal ko ang pisngi niya pero hindi pa rin siya gumagalaw. Holy shit. I checked for a heartbeat and for a pulse. But shit, my hands are too stiff I couldn't feel anything. I panicked so much. But then, I remembered CPR. I held her nose with my thumb and index finger and the other hand settled on her chin. I opened her mouth slightly and leaned slowly. But just as I was halfway to touching her mouth, her eyes opened. I jolted and distanced myself away from her. She lifted her back by her elbows on the ground and faced me; with an eyebrow raised.
    "No it isn't what it looks lik---,"
    "Irere-rape mo ko noh?" She interrupted with a slightly curved lip. I felt my cheeks burn.
    "What? Rape you?! Hell no!" I exclaimed.
    Aba assumerang babae 'to ha?
 She was just simultaneously laughing while I was having a hard time reasoning out to her.
    "Oh geez, I was kiddin'," she said between the guffaws of laughter she's letting out,
    "I'm Ericka by the way," pagpapakilala niya atsaka iniabot ang kamay sa akin.
    "Nathalie," I replied and reached for her hand.

I snapped out of it when Ericka called my name.
    "Are you ok?" She asked, I nodded with a smile. Now that I think about it, I never got to ask what she was doing there until now.
    This is a good chance, right?
    "By the way, Ericka," I began. Inilayo ko ang katawan ko sa kanya at pumamewang, "What were doing under the tree that time?" She raised an eyebrow.
    "You know, back in college? Where I first met you?" I tried to make her remember; fortunately it rang a bell.
    "Oh, that! Yung binalak mo kong i-rape?" Then she laughed; holding her stomach. I rolled my eyes. She managed to calm down and straighten herself.
    "I was dumped," she said with a half smile. My eyes widened.
    "You were what? Dumped?" I asked as though I didn't hear it.
    "Yeah," she sighed, "Well, we were supposed to meet under that tree but I caught her with someone else," she paused, "Then, she broke up with me," she followed, "So yeah, nung nakita mo kong nakahandusay sa lupa malamang nakatulog ako sa sobrang lungkot," she laughed afterwards. Seriously, why didn't she tell me this before? Geez.
    "Well, at least mayroon na akong alam tungkol sa'yo kahit kaunti lang," I said with confidence. I glanced at her with a smile, she smiled back and shrugged.
    "Listen, I want to tell you something," I said. Kumunot ang noo niya atsaka ngumiti.
    "What is it?" She asked.
    Ok, Nath. Inhale, exhale. Oh shit, my heart is racing.
    I have decided.