Chapter 6

Rosalynn Marie Amberly

“Listen Rose, I am so sorry. I didn’t mean all that stuff I said. Please, pick up the phone,”

“Godammit Rose. Why won't you pick up the phone up?"

“Please Rosie-Posie. I’m going crazy. I need to know if you’re okay,”

“This is it Rose. I’m going downright insane! Just pick up the bloody cell!

Those were just a few of the many messages Louis had left me, none of the texts he had sent included. I sat at the breakfast table, trying to keep myself calm. I wasn’t ignoring him; my cell was set on silent while I slept. I was tired and I just wanted to sleep without any disturbances. I felt extremely guilty not picking up his calls, he sounded genuinely worried.

I thought for a moment or two before dialing his number. I found my heart rate increasing by each passing second. What was I to say? How would he react? I already knew I’d bomb it some way or another. It rang two times before he picked up.

“Hello?” His voice flew me back to when we were kids. I smiled at the distant memory. “Hello?!” He repeated.

“Um, Louis?” I whispered. I could literally feel the smile and surprise radiating from his body wherever he was.

“Rosie, you called!” Louis exclaimed, his voice filled with genuine happiness. I couldn’t help but smile slightly.

“Yeah. Sorry about not picking up, my phone was on silent and I was sleeping,” I explained.

“Don’t worry about it. I’m just glad you called! I’ve only been home for three days and I’ve already managed to screw things up,” He said in a bitter tone.

“I think I took part in it as well,” I pointed out as Louis chuckled slightly.

“Sure, sure. Hey, would you like to meet up for lunch? I miss talking to you, just us,” Louis admitted. My face lit up. Just the two of us? Like the old times? I nodded but then realized he couldn’t see me.

“Yes! At our old place?” I squealed as Louis let out another chuckle.

“It’s a date then. See you at three!” Louis said before hanging up the phone. I looked up the clock. 2:30. Just a bit longer and I’ll be back in the past.

***

I walked down the sidewalk to see Louis sitting outside in one of the outdoor tables. He was actually early? Wow, that’s a first. Letting a smile spread across my face, I ran down to the table. Seeing me coming, Louis stood up and caught me as I ran straight into his arms. His intoxicating smell filled my nose as his muscular arms wrapped around me.

“Finally,” He murmured before letting go. We sat down and started to talk.

“Remember our first time here?” Louis said. I nodded. We were at a small café in the heart of London. It was run by an elderly couple who I thought of as my second parental figure. They were so generous and sweet; it was quite hard to find people like them in the world.