Chapter 5

Louis William Tomlinson

I woke up the next day, tired as anything. I hadn’t gone to sleep until almost three because I was trying to get hold of Rose. She didn’t answer any of my calls or texts. Eleanor got irritated that I was trying to get my best friend back on good terms with me so she went home. Harry only answered my call once saying that he had enough on his plate as it was and that I should stop calling him for a while, saying everything in the calmest voice I had ever heard. I found it incredible that I had nearly strangled him yet he didn’t hold anything against me. Some fans out there thought he was egotistical but if they saw what I saw, they wouldn’t say that.

I had to wake up at five the next morning since we had to do a lot more recordings and rehearsals but I didn’t get any real sleep till 4:30 a.m. I ended up going to work with disheveled hair, a hoodie, and sweatpants. I only drank a very strong cup of coffee but I wasn’t exactly hungry. I opened the door as a blast of cool air hit me. It was the middle of November and I was in London, I didn’t quite think that through today.

Climbing into the car, I quickly jammed the key into the ignition slot. I decided some music would help brighten my spirits. I just turned on the radio. I didn’t care about which station it was on, I just needed music. Questions roamed in my head nevertheless. Why was Rose so angry? I was trying to protect her from heartbreak.

Not that Harry wasn’t a good boyfriend, anyone to have him in the future would be pretty damn lucky to call a guy like him theirs. But not Rose, Rose wouldn’t be that lucky girl. It wasn’t because of that ridiculous rumor about Harry being a womanizer. I just knew that he would break her heart one way or another.

I sound crazy, don’t I? Maybe I am. Rose had watched Eleanor and I flaunt our relationship for the last year. In total pain too because I wasn’t there for her, she had to watch on TV and hear on the radio about us. I never called her up and told her. And so did Harry. He watched as I sacrificed everything on El and watched as I loved her. But Harry didn’t have anyone to truly love him back. And I was keeping him from doing that. I was such a horrible friend, such a horrid one.

I realized I wasn’t even listening to the music. Sighing, I turned the volume up a few notches. I hadn’t heard this song before but it didn’t sound too bad. I focused on the words.

It’s time to begin, isn’t it?

I get a little bit bigger but then, I’ll admit.

I’m just the same as I was, don’t you understand? I’m never changing who I am.

The words held me captivated. Soon, my hands were doing all the work on the road as I focused on the words. They were so much more than words though. They meant something I was trying to prove to myself since day 1.

So this is where you fell,

And I am left to sell.

The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell,

Right to the top.

Don’t look back.

Turning to rags and giving the commodities a rain check.

I don’t ever wanna let you down.

I don’t wanna ever leave this town.

Cause after all, the city never sleeps at night.

Heaven meets hell. I couldn’t help but connect that to my life at the moment. Love was hell. It was a commitment I wasn’t ready for. Maybe I wasn’t with the right person. No, of course I was. El had to be the right person, who else it there? I couldn’t but think it…there was Rose.

A slow but very powerful realization came to me as I listened to the verse after the chorus was finished. It represented where Rose and I stood, after fame and a relationship. After devotion and sacrifices.

This road never looked so lonely.

This house didn’t burn down slowly.

To ashes, to ashes.

What did the house represent? Our friendship.

---

I opened the door to recording studio 1A. We weren’t actually recording anything so I didn’t have any actual clue why we were here exactly. But I was told to meet here so here I am. All eyes landed on me as Harry’s face turned to one of complete and utter fear. I didn’t smile, I was to engrossed in my thoughts to bother about them at the moment.

“Um, hello Lou!” Niall chirped. I knew he’d be the first one to greet me. I smiled at him the best smile I could muster.

“Hey mate,” I replied before pulling out my phone. It was blank but I thought I had felt it vibrate. To keep myself from looking like an idiot, I turned it on to check my Twitter feed.

The latest tweet on my timeline was from Sugarscape, the tweet stating, “Harry Styles dating Louis Tomlinson’s childhood friend, Rose Amberly? Yep, it’s confirmed!” I rolled my eyes. It was just a bunch of bullshit. I pulled up my mentions, casually scrolling through them. There were the occasional hate comments that I didn’t glance twice at. Then the ‘follow backs’ that came after every other comment. But a particular one that caught my eye.

“Are you upset over Harry and Rose?”

I realized there was a bunch of tweet saying the same thing. So many of them said nasty things against Rose, it was horrid. I decided that I needed to put an end to it. I may have lost Rose but she’ll always be my best friend, even if I wasn’t hers.

“Please stop saying such rude things about Rose ! Get to know her a bit”

And with that, I closed the app. I’ve had enough drama for a lifetime.