I almost expect her to say something back, but I guess I can understand her being skeptical of me. Like I said, we were never close, but the tension between her boyfriend and I hasn't gone unnoticed, and who knows what Alex has said to her about me. Although, she does manage to give me a tight lipped smile, one that doesn't reach her eyes.

"You'll be in great hands with Abby," I try to assure her, but she doesn't seem fazed at all. "I wish you all the best." Again, nothing. "Well, I better get going," I say uncomfortably, thumbing behind my shoulder to my luggage that's stacked next to the door.

I give her a small smile, awkwardly waving goodbye to the both of them. I stupidly but instinctively look at Alex again and into his stormy blue eyes. His face is expressionless, but his eyes flare with so much intensity that I have to look away.

Turning around, I walk back over to Greg, telling him my final goodbye. He gives me a quick hug before I go, once again trying to persuade me to stay.

"Abby is going to be great," I assure him.

He frowns, shoulders sagging. "I know, but still, if you ever want to come back..." he trails off, hopeful.

I let out a small laugh. "I'll call," I assure.

He grins, patting my shoulder. "Good luck with everything, Joslyn."

"Thanks. You too."

I walk over to my luggage, slinging on my backpack before tilting my suitcase on its wheels with my duffel bag resting on top, the handle holding it in place. The sound of the wheels gliding against the floor echo against the backstage hall walls since almost everyone is gone now. Only a handful of people linger in the halls, mostly security and a few crew members in charge of loading equipment.

When I open the back heavy metal door, I'm welcomed by the sound of rain pattering against the pavement and glistening when it catches one of the lights in the parking lot. With a sigh, I dig around in my duffel bag and pull out my white rain coat. Once I shrug it on and get ahold of all my luggage again, I make sure the hood is secure on my head before walking out into the rain.

I spot my car just past the security gates, pulled up to the curb. I briskly walk across the backlot, making sure to avoid any puddles, and I'm able to slip past the security gates thanks to the help of an attendant.

When I reach the car, the driver hops out and pops the trunk, helping me load my luggage. As soon as the trunk slams shut, I jog around the car to the passenger side and open the door to the back seat. With one last somber look, I glance back at the theater, a heaviness swarming my chest. I thought I was happy about going home, but deep down something doesn't feel right.

Before ducking into the backseat, a figure standing outside the back entrance door catches my eye.

Alex stands with his hands shoved deep into the front pockets of his dark jeans, letting the rain wet his hair and white shirt. Even though there's quite a distance between us, we lock eyes. Face still expressionless, his eyes look almost wounded as he stares at me with so much intensity I freeze on the spot, unable to look away.

"Miss," the driver's voice pulls me from Alex's spell.

I apologize and duck into the back seat, closing the door once I'm settled inside. Before buckling my seatbelt, I take one last look back at Alex to find his shoulders slumped and expression softened, but there's still so much intensity behind those blue eyes that I find myself craning my neck to still stare at them when the car pulls away from the curb and out onto the road.

My heart clinches, and I finally face forward when he's no longer in sight, slumping in the leather seat. It almost feels as painful as the first time I left, except this time around I have to watch him watch me leave willingly.