01 | Adjustments

«Dad! Are you serious? I don't want to do it!" I shouted at my father who just entered our apartment building with his hands full of boxes from our trunk. I followed behind with just two of my bags.

He stopped in his tracks and turned around, glaring at me. "Do we really have to go over this again? I told you what our plans are and you aren't in a place to argue with me, y/n!" He turned towards the stairway and proceeded to walk away from me.

I wasn't happy with the situation I was in, I didn't want to move in to this new shitty apartment with my dad and on top of that, the building didn't even have an elevator so we have to carry everything upstairs. We're only on the first floor but that's enough to annoy me. I just want it to be over with and be able to lock myself in my room and take a break from everything.

It was my fifth time going downstairs to get our last couple of things from the car. We had previously brought over some stuff but this was our last time driving over, as our old apartment contract has already ended and we were moving in today.

I closed the trunk and went upstairs. In the boxes there were mostly things from my old room, so I brought them in my new one. It was smaller than my previous one. I've gotten rid of some of my belongings before moving here, so I could fit everything in the new room.

I was just unpacking one of the boxes with my clothes in it when I stumbled upon some framed pictures. I had wrapped them in my shirts to prevent them from breaking during the move but I completely forgot about them by now. My favorite one was the one taken on a hot summer day at the lake. My mom and dad, my little brother and I all looked straight at the camera, all of us squinting our eyes because of the brightness of the sun. We were all laughing because we couldn't keep a straight face.

With the picture in my hand I went out to the living room area to find my dad unpacking our kitchen supplies.

"Dad, look what I just found", I smiled as I walked over to him, still looking at the picture in my hands. I hadn't looked at the picture in so long.

"What, darling?", he came over, seeming interested in what I was happy about.

As soon as he saw what it was, his expression changed.

"Y/n, what did I tell you?", he raised his voice while staring angrily at me.

"I-I just tho-"

"I told you not to talk about it, not to remind me of it and to just completely forget it! How many fucking times do I have to tell you?", he cut me off.

"Dad, just listen to me, pleas-"

"No, I have enough of you already. I care to make your life as good as possible but you don't even seem to care about mine! Leave my sight and don't talk to me until you fucking understand what I just told you." He was pent up and his head was turning red from all his anger towards me.

I should have known better than to show my dad the picture. Who am I kidding, I knew how he was going to react. Why did I even try? But why couldn't he understand me?

With tears in my eyes I went in to my room and continued with unpacking.

"This brat just doesn't know how to behave. How many times did I already tell her – I don't want anything to do with it! Why does she keep reminding me? Is it so hard to follow one simple rule?" I heard my father angrily whisper to himself in the kitchen. He slammed cupboard doors and threw the cutlery in the drawers.

As soon as I heard his words I grabbed my nearest jacket and went to go and leave the apartment. I didn't care that it was late at night, I didn't care about anything. I just needed to get out of here.