📍Chapter 30📍

Start from the beginning

                                                                            🎗🎗🎗

Alvin was playing with other kids in the park with a big smile on his face. And just by seeing him, my heart swelled with love. This was a gift God gave me. Perhaps he didn't hate me after all.

I saw Veronica approaching us with her daughter, Eva. She came and sat with me at a bench while Eva joined Alvin in their games. They had grown fond of each other, like they were siblings.

"How are you, why do you seem troubled?"

She sighed before responding, "I know you are not going to like it but I have to tell you this." I raised my eyebrows in question.

"I.... I mean, we have to go back to San Francisco. Tomorrow." I was caught off guard. Why would she want to go there with her? She knew what happened the last time I was there and I wasn't ready to see them again.

"Why do I have to go there with you?"

"Because my dear, I have found a job for you?" She clapped her hands eagerly.

"What? How?"

"Well, my husband met this person who owns a fashion house and told him he was looking for a designer. When he told me this I thought of you immediately and don't you dare deny this opportunity. "

"What makes you think he will accept me? A single mother." I knew it was not an issue but I didn't want to risk going there.

"Who cares about that these days? Anyway, he saw your drafts..."

"From where?"

"The ones that you left at home. So are you coming or not?"

I had to think this over very carefully.

By going there there was a high chance of meeting Leon or anyone else and I was sure he was still mad and angry at me despite the fact that so much time had passed.

Moreover, I had to bring Alvin along and I wasn't going to expose him. No one must know that I have a son.

But then again, I had to find a job sooner or later because we couldn't continue to rely on Valentina's cookies anymore.

"Is your silence a yes?" She asked again, this time frowning like she was afraid of my answer. With a defeated sigh, I nodded slowly and she squealed, hugging me.

I hope I haven't made a wrong decision.

That night while I was packing, he asked me, "Mommy, where are we going?" I scooped him up and showered him with kisses as he giggled.

"We are going on a small vacation with you, me and aunt Veronica."

"Yay!! Is Eva coming too?"

"Of course, "

"Very well, I'm going to pack my new toys. I'm going to show her." With that he left the room running to get his toys.

Few minutes later, Valentina walked in.

"Aren't you afraid to encounter Leon there?" She asked, and I was. Very much so.

"If I'm going to be honest, I am. But also there is an opportunity there I can't let go." I mutter, exasperated.

She winces. "What will happen if he sees his...well...Alvin?"

"I guess I will have to invent a lie but in all cases he can not know that Alvin is his son." She approached me and gave a reassuring hug, wishing me the best of luck.

That night I couldn't sleep. I kept tossing in bed restlessly thinking about the day after and what could go wrong.

                                                                  🎗🎗🎗

We arrived in San Francisco around midday and we went to book a hotel room to spend the night in, then we had lunch in a nearby restaurant.

"When am I meeting this supposed person?"

"You are going there at his fashion house at 3PM and I will watch over the children." Since we had two more hours, we went back to the hotel to take a nap.

The cab took me to the address Val had indicated. The building was tall and had a resemblance to the SMITH's CO. I was suddenly transported the first time I came there. I quickly dismissed those thoughts, paid the driver and got out.

My hands were sweaty so I wiped them on my black pants I had worn with a white blouse and, unfortunately, heels.

I entered and approached the receptionist.

"Good afternoon, I am Emma Cades and I'm..."

"Sure, they are expecting you." She wrote something on her computer and told me the directions.

I was about to go when I halted in my steps.

That voice. I could recognize it anywhere.

Don't turn around. Do not turn around. Do not...

My neck betrayed me and turned and our eyes met just as air left my lungs.