Chapter 29: Lout

Song recommendation: GTA Lifestyle by Young Nudy "This is my lifestyle, this is me; you know me, baby"

She wasn't the same person anymore. She started new habits that she believed were extra precautions for their safety, but it was really just added paranoia. Sage would go around their home checking if all the windows were locked and all the curtains were closed every single night. She wouldn't dare leave the house unless it was to the obstetrician with David attached at his hip and she was always searching around, and she absolutely could not talk about what happened to save her life. Every time Dave tried to talk her through it she would shut down. The worst part for him to witness was her nightmares, she would be talking in her sleep like someone was trying to take her again.

She didn't blame Dave, Ella or even Jay, she put this all on her plate. It was worse when she remembered Jay was nowhere to be found which meant he could be alive. The city was confused as to why the massacre happened in the posh neighborhood that is Jamaica Estates. Things like that would occurr in a neighborhood a little rough around the edges.

Dave was patient with her but that didn't mean he hadn't turned to white girl. It was almost like a reflex when his thoughts got super bad to grab from the stash he kept. Dave stayed in the house with her all two weeks to her liking but he didn't want to break it to her that he needed to actually be with the team for something important. Killing Marcus wasn't enough when the big guy managed to slip through the cracks.

Since she wasn't leaving the house, she was missing school and it pained Ella knowing her best friend should be there enjoying senior activities and preparing for college. She tried to talk her into getting back to life's normal routine but it was to no avail. She was terrified of leaving the house and meeting people.

The first time Sage admitted to Dave that she was pregnant was the next morning after he found her. Then that night lying awake together she interrupted the comfortable silence confessing her plans to possibly abort it. He didn't get angry, he just continued to rub her stomach with oil. Her belly had a small pouch because of the baby and it was the cutest thing to him. He professed that Ella let him know she was pregnant while she was gone. It was a small exchange that meant a lot that night. It would be  the start of  many sleepless nights.

"Where are you going?" Sage asked him as he lightly dabbed some expensive cologne on. She was folding their clothes on the side of the bed in separate piles and putting them away.