Chapter 17: Berth

Song recommendation: Surf by Mac Miller "The whole world, they know it, they just waiting for me and you; and she, just like I, got her head in the clouds"

     To add to the list of things he never did for anyone before. Cooking. And not just cooking but adding little quirks that he knew she liked, strawberries on her pancakes, extra whip cream in her hot chocolate, and a small portion of scrambled eggs.

     Sage shuffled into the kitchen quietly, following the smell of the food and catching sight of his back muscles. She always felt when his presence was missing in her sleep, waking her up. Sometimes she would just fall back asleep but other times she'd go searching for him. This time she was relieved to find him innocently making breakfast. There was an unspoken agreement that they lived together, for the most part at least. Of course Sage had to go home and pretend like she didn't have a whole boyfriend amongst other things.

     That's what annoyed David the most, he clamped his tongue for the sake of her feelings but he was tired of the sneaking and the disruptiveness of their living situation.They fit together so perfectly, it didn't make sense how seemingly well she could hide it at home. The pair cared for each other and it showed in more ways than not and when she was in his arms for the night or he's able to kiss on her though the day, he's happiest.

     "Good morning," she said. He looked up from scraping the eggs off the pan and on to the plate.

     "Mornin', mama,' ' His voice was extra raspy. Sage walked around the island and walked towards him and into his arms. She leaned on his chest just listening to his heartbeat. "I wanna talk to you about somethin' but grab your food first."

     Sage perked her eyebrows curiously but she just listened to him and the two settled on the couch. A rerun of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air played in the background as Sage laid on one end and Dave sat on the opposite. "Why are you so far away?" He said jokingly but he tugged at her little feet.

 "Why are you so far away?" He said jokingly but he tugged at her little feet

     She set her half eaten plate of food down and crawled over to him. "Not for long."

     He just chuckled and cleared his throat, "I got another question for you. Why you not moving in with me?"

     She could act like she didn't see the question coming but the truth is, she did. Even though she had time to think about what she would say nothing could prepare her for this moment. She wrinkled her nose and pushed her body up from his. Dave waited for an answer, rubbing his thumb over her hand in his. Sage shrugged slightly, "Babe, you know why."

     He rolled his eyes at her vagueness. "You gonna tell me why? Or I gotta guess?" He asked her patiently.

     "We fit well together...but moving in together might actually put my dad in--" She began but he cut her off.

     "So why don't we figure it out? Together! Instead of being stuck." Dave took a deep breath and let go of her hand. "You don't trust me?" He asked suddenly.