-

I don't know when or how I'll be okay. I still haven't recovered from that gloomy night filled with terror and blood. Every piece of the memory was engraved in my mind, forgetting it is almost near impossible. I was depressed for so long, not knowing what my mom said in the end. I reckon she wasn't even able to make a sound.

I opened my eyes, brushed my hair, and let out a sigh for the second time. I glanced outside, and I saw the guy the tall guy that gave me his number with his hair all wet. I went back inside and dragged my chair. Under my table was the small drawer where I placed the piece of paper he gave me two weeks ago which I ignored for so long. I stretched my arm to get my phone and from there, I encoded his number into my list of contacts.

Pressing the lock button, I dived into the reading material we were given for a test on Tuesday. I started flipping the handouts, scanning every main section of the topic. I never knew if my decisions in life were correct but one thing I do know is that I will leave a mark in History.

Beep. Beep.

The alarm clock buzzed loudly. I sluggishly raised my head as the sunlight hits my face which made me squint. I touched the surface, my fingers feeling wet. I grunted in annoyance as I used my hands to clear up my vision and walked towards the dresser where the alarm clock was. After switching it off, I looked at my phone whereas I walked to the bathroom to do what must be done.

*

'Hi!' The waitress approached me. 'May I take your order?'

'Can I get the Buttermilk Pancakes?' I said to the waitress in front of me.

'Sure. Two pieces or three?'

'Three, please. Also, a cup of coffee' After placing my order, I inhaled the sweet fragrance that lingered in the air. The aroma of the perfectly made pancakes covered in hot sticky syrup and slathered in butter permeated in my nose. I scratched my neck and pulled the collar to my nose, examining whether I smell good or bad.

I examined the place, it felt homey, which was fitting of its reputation. The restaurant which was rectangular in design were bustling with people as the black chairs were being occupied by students and teachers alike. Tapping the table with my finger, I waited for my order to come. Humming along the familiar song, I unlocked my phone to see the current day - Saturday - and recalled the occasions that happened over the past two weeks. I started recollecting the most recent event which was the quiz I almost did not take because I overslept. Good thing, Mr. Sanders was lenient on me.

The pancakes, along with the hot coffee, arrived at my table. I lifted the syrup and spread it in a circular motion. Afterwards, I cut the pancakes and started eating. Continuing with my thoughts, I remembered that two weeks ago, I went to the mall with Owen and Jenna. I wonder what Owen was going to say before going to the movies. He never actually brought it up ever again, even when the three of us met last week.

After eating, I went back to my room to get my study materials. I'm planning to study in the library so that I won't have distractions of any sort. The door in front of me was left open, I didn't pay much attention to it because I don't even know who lives there.

The library as usual was jam-packed with students studying. I entered the main door and went to the reception to ask for the location of the history book I was trying to find. After being given the directions, I inhaled as I see how magnificent and glorious the library was. From the high-end ceilings to the paintings donated by the alumni costing thousands of dollars.

I went to third floor, going to the History section of the library. I found the book entitled "Developments through the years: History of Psychology," at the far-end of the room. Eager to sit, my feet quietly strode to the nearest table at the middle of the room. The vibration on my pocket stopped my tracks as I took my phone out.

Jenna: Wya?
Peter: Lib, 3rd floor. What's up?

I raised my eyebrows as I sat down, still looking at my phone. I placed the book down, flipped a page, and went back to my phone. My thumbs were circling around the keyboard, trying to think of what to say because I just lost the motivation to read.

Peter: Hello?
Jenna: Nothing, I thought you were in your room. Knocked three times.

My body started to loosen as my back leaned on the back of the wooden chair. I raised my chin faintly and stared blankly at the steel shelves I see albeit I left Jenna on read. A ping reverbed in my ear, completely forgetting to mute the recently unmuted phone.

Jenna: Hey, why aren't you replying. I might be butting in on someone's business but... I asked the person in 315 earlier if he had seen you.

With my newfound interest, I raised my eyebrows with my lips perked. I re-read the text and found a hint in it - "he." More intrigued than ever, I started typing to probe Jenna for more questions with the intent to prolong the conversation, gathering as much information possible about the person in front of my room.

Peter: Wdym? He?
Jenna: Guess? It's someone we know.
Peter: Come on
Just tell me who it is.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance seeing that she was playing hard to get. She must be wanting some price or whatever.

Peter: So?
Jenna: You owe me a favor ;)
Peter: Just tell me.
Jenna: Okay, you're never going to believe who it is.
Peter: Who?
Jenna: It's the dude from Starbucks. He was also the swimmer who was trending.
You still have his number right?

-

'Hey.' A deep voice resonated in my ear.

To my shock, I jumped from my place and gasped loudly at the same time as I turned my head to see the person alongside me. Not expecting anyone, I quickly fixed my posture, pulled my shirt down, and judged whether I looked like a disaster or not. 'Hello,' I say awkwardly as I stare into those bottomless eyes.

'You still haven't texted me.' He laughed revealing a wide smile that you just can't get enough of. 'You must really not want me to pay, huh?

'No. No.' I scratched my head in embarrassment as I spoke in two different tones. 'I haven't had the time and I was -'

'You were what,' he said in confusion.

Trying to think of something, I panicked - my fingers were quickly tapping the seat. 'I was doing something. Busy, yes!' With my pitch higher, I resumed, 'Busy with my studies. We're all busy, aren't we?'

At this point of time, I was blushing inwardly due to the extreme mortification I was experiencing. It's not that I'm this socially awkward, it's just he was too close to me with his large body in front of my eyes. On his shirt was the visible packs that made me loss for words and his arms we're so developed that my eyes couldn't believe what I was seeing.

'Yes,' he snorted. 'We're all busy, right.'

'Hey, I am. Don't doubt me.'

'I didn't get your name last time. I was in a hurry.' I moved to my right as he seated next to me.

'My name?' Not knowing where things are progressing, I said, 'Oh! My name's Peter. Btw, why'd you approach?

'I thought I saw a familiar figure and it turns out it was you sitting alone at this time.' He was scratching his right back which flexed his hard muscles. 'I was done jogging and so I approached you.'

'But we barely know each other,' I retorted.

'Then let's get to know each other,' he rested his head on the back as he tilted it towards my direction. 'I could use some friends outside my team'

As he returned his head to its former direction, I was intent on prolonging conversation. My thoughts raced, trying to think of possible topics to introduce while he was stretching his legs on the ground.

~~

Hey! Author here.

If you liked this chapter please like and follow me for updates.