Kali

We have made our escape plan. It's simple. The nurses haven't put up any precautions because they think that we're too weak to try anything. What they don't understand is that if you have hope, you can do anything.

*2am*

"Lisa, Lisa," I gently shake the other girl, and she groans. "Shh," I whisper.

"Is it time to go?"

"Yes, we have to sneak out now."

Lisa can barely even stand up from her place on the couch, so I get up first and help her up after. As we hobble to entrance, I can feel her collapsing into my shoulder, her raggedy breaths fast and uncontrolled. I start to worry. If this is how she is now, how will she be out in the cold, walking to help for who knows how long. Will she even make it? We reach the door and I slowly and quietly twist the doorknob and we step into the chilly night air. We don't have much, just what we came here wearing. Our hospital gowns and shoes. And Lisa only has one shoe, so we decide to leave it behind.

***

It's almost morning, and I see the sun on horizon. It has been a really tough two hours. Lisa can barely walk, and to be honest, I have been contemplating leaving her behind. But I can't- I just can't bring myself too. I'll keep her with me until one of us dies. Or we make it to help. I'm starting to worry they will wake up and catch up with us though. We still have days to go. I look down at my feet as we trod on. Then Lisa's bare feet, only cloaked by the once-neon green, now covered-in-dirt socks that she wore to the hospital, all those weeks- months ago.

"Rest," she croaks out, her voice barely audible.

"Okay," I sigh, and pause next to a tall oak tree, its roots padded with moss, and slide Lisa down next to me. "We leave in five minutes, okay? We can't give them too much time to catch up."

She doesn't even nod, just stares at me blankly, her eyes wide.

I take that as a yes.

SORRY THIS IS A DAY LATE. SO THEY'VE MADE THEIR MISTAKE? WILL LISA MAKE IT? WILL KALI?? GUESS YOU'LL FIND OUT.  NEXT UPDATE TOMORROW. PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT. LOVE YA'LL :)