Max

The girls and Chad arrive home, looking broken. As soon as Kath sits down on the couch, I sit down next to her and wrap my arms are around her. "How did it go?" I ask gently.

She just stares into space.

"Hey, it's going to be okay."

"No it's not," she whispers.

I kiss her softly on the cheeks and just sit with her. I can't imagine the pain she's going through. After a few minutes, Dani joins, sitting next to me, with Emmyn on her other side and Lauren cuddles up on Kath's side.

We sit like this for a good hour, until Emmyn and Dani go up to their room, presumably to do some editing. Lauren goes to shower. Nick is on a walk, I think, and Chad is in the room that he shared with Lisa.

After everyone leaves, I offer Kath to go on a walk together and she agrees. We walk into the fresh, cool evening air and I grasp her hand, squeezing it tightly.

Wait.

What's that?

I feel a weird, raised line. At the same moment, Kath flinches and involuntarily pulls her hand from mine.

"What's up Kathy?" I ask in a concerned voice. "I felt something on your hand, what happened?"

"Nothing, sorry. It's just Charles scratched my hand the other day and it hurts."

"Oh," I say in relief. "Can I see it?"

"Sure," she says, looking uncomfortable. She shows me her hand and it looks okay. I am about to continue on our walk, when I see the end of another scar snaking out form beneath her sleeves. "Roll up your sleeves," I command.

"Why?" She asks, looking wholly uncomfortable now.

"Please, Kath."

She slowly pulls up her sleeve and I gasp at the sight. There are hundreds of cuts lining her wrist, some faded, some raised and fresh, and some covered in bandages that look like they were just made this morning. On the contrary, some of them are so light they seem like they could have been made years ago. As tears fill my eyes, all I can force myself to say is, "Jacket off."

Her lip trembles but she does as I say and slowly takes off her jacket, which she wears everyday. In fact, I can't remember her ever NOT wearing that. Underneath, she is wearing a lavender tank top. My gaze goes to her shoulders, which are marked up with more cuts. I slowly lift my hand and trace her scars gently. She stays still and stares into my eyes, as if willing me to say something. Anything.

"Why?" Is all that escapes.

"Because," she whispers, tears dripping off of her cheeks, "Life hurts."

"Tell me."

Kath takes a deep breath and explains everything.

HEY GUYS. THAT WAS REALLY DEPRESSING TO WRITE. WOW.

ANYWAYS, RIGHT NOW, I'M ON A ROAD TRIP. WE'VE BEEN IN THE CAR FOR THREE HOURS AND HAVE ABOUT THREE MORE TO GO, SO I DECIDED THIS WAS A GOOD TIME TO WRITE A BUNCH OF CHAPTERS SO I'M PREPARED FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS. SO YOU'RE GOING TO BE GETTING SOME CHAPTERS I'M REALLY EXCITED ABOUT- I WILL HAVE MORE TIME TO WIRTE AND PERFECT MY CHAPTERS SINCE I'M ON VACATION, SO I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE THEM!!

MY SCHOOL ENDED TODAY SO I'M OFFICIALLY IN HIGH SCHOOL! THAT FEELS SO WEIRD TO WRITE- BUT FIRST I AHVE TO SURVIVE SUMMER! (I KNOW I'M WEIRD, BUT I HATE SUMMER. I ALSO HATE VACATIONS. UGH. IT'S HARD TO EXPLAIN, I JUST HAVE SOME PROBLEMS.)

ANYWAY, I WAS LISTENING TO THE ILYOW AND CIMFAM EP'S WHILE I WROTE THIS. IT WAS AWESOME!! OKAY THIS AUTHOR'S NOTE IS GETTING REALLY LONG AND OFF TOPIC, SO I'LL STOP. NEXT UPDATE IS FRIDAY (TOMORROW).

PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE!!