Lisa

I open my eyes, and immediately remember everything that had happened. I pray that it was all just a bad dream, but my fantasy is ruined when the trunk swings open and Mandy grabs me by the arm. I can barely breathe and I don't even try to struggle. I just let myself be slung over her shoulder and bounced along as she silently carries me through- where am I? I open one eye to look around, and I'm very surprised. We're in the middle of think undergrowth, like a forest. But Nashville isn't near any forests. How long have I been asleep? How far have we driven? After a few minutes, we make it to a small house, buried deep in the woods.

The door swings open the moment we- Mandy- steps onto the stoop and she brushes by one of the other nurses- the one who opened the door, without even a "thank you."

Mandy throws me onto the couch, disregarding the fact that I have a deadly illness and I can barely breathe. I struggle to suck air through my mouth and exhale it out, but I manage to do it. For my sisters. My brothers. And mom. And dad.

I must have fallen asleep because when I wake, it is dark outside and the moon is shining brightly through the window. I am about to close my eyes again when I hear hurried whispering. I turn my head to see the outline of the three nurses and Mandy having a conversation. I can hear what they're saying if I strain my ears.

"She'll be so useful."

"That's if she doesn't die."

"What do we do if she dies?"

"You idiot! We dispose of her body and forget we even knew her! Then we get a new one."

"But...you don't think we could at least burn her or something...you know to honor her?"

"She dosen't deserve honor, you idiot!! Anyway, we're not there yet, she's still alive and hopefully we can keep her that way! Is it that much to ask- keep a girl alive!"

One of the nurses mutters something under her breath.

"What. Was. That?" Now Mandy, venom dripping form her voice.

"I said, 'yes, it's a lot to ask if the girl is infected with a deadly virus.'"

"Well, I'm paying you well so shut up and do your work."

What does all of this mean? Why will I be useful to them? I am about to close my eyes again when I hear the whispering start again.

"So, here's the plan." Mandy again. "We'll keep her here a few days, you know, make the family really desperate. I'll go get the other one but I'll have to be careful because the hospital will be looking for us. We'll have them both. Then we reach out. Say, 'We have your girls,' you pay us, you get them back, you don't, they die.' A simple money for children program. Been used a hundred times, but always effective."

"How much money?"

"That doesn't concern you."

"Why? I want my fair share."

"And you'll be getting it- I promised you 3 grand, if you don't mess up," Mandy hisses.

So I know their plan. It's not anything new. But why did it have to be me? Was I just the unlucky the one they preyed on? My question is answered a second later.

"We chose her and her sisters for a good reason, hopefully the fact that they're America's sweethearts will pay off, we're more likely to get more money. Alright, meeting dismissed. I'm going to sleep, so I can leave later and get the other girl."

As I struggle to breathe, I'm ponder the possibility of my survival. I'm not sure I can last much longer. The only reason I keep breathing is for my family. Otherwise, I'd just stop. It'd be easier.

HEY EVERYONE. HERE. A SLIGHTLY DEPRESSING CHAPTER :(

NEXT UPDATE IS TOMORROW. IT WAS A FUN ONE TO WRITE SO I'M EXCITED FOR YOU TO SEE IT TOMORROW :) PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT ❤️ HOPE YOU'RE STAYING SAFE.