Chapter 34

Ever since the Preliminaries we've been practicing constantly. We were less than two months away from the qualifier games. Everyone was doing their best, I worked with Tsukishima and Hinata on their blocking skills as well with Asahi on his serving, and helping as needed with the others. Right now everyone was serving, so I stood off to the side watching and helping out as needed. By now my nose was completely healed and had no pain in it.  

"Emiko." I heard Tsukishima's voice sound. 

"Tsukishima, what can I help you with?" I asked turning to face him. 

"Is it alright if I skip out on our practice today?" He asked. 

"Yeah, that's fine. Do what you gotta do to learn, Tsukishima. I'm not gonna stop you. Just if you need me, let me know. I'll be there." I say nodding my head at him. 

"Yes ma'am." He nodded his head and headed out. I watched him walk out of the building, the sun was starting to set now. Soon enough it got dark, and Kageyama returned. I stood behind Asahi as I watching him serve. 

"What are you talking about? Quit messing around!" Hinata yelled, I turned my head to see him talking with Kageyama. "What did you see?"

"I think Seijoh was playing a practice match against a college that some of their alumni are attending. When I got there, they were on break. During the break, a different type of match with a member-swap started up. Among the college students, Oikawa entered alone as their setter. It seemed like there were many people he had just met for the first time. But. After just a few plays...  Oikawa had completely blended into the team. Even I could tell how lively the spikers felt. The ability to draw 100% out of anyone... Even if you take your time, it's not a given that you can make that happen. But for Oikawa, even if it's someone that hates him, or a very quirky player, I'm sure... he can manage them at will." Kageyama explained. 

"So are you saying that you're freaked out by the Great King again, Kageyama?" Hinata questioned. 

"Yeah, I'm really freaked out." Kageyama said, a smile placed it's self on his lips. "The three years that Oikawa spent... Everything is packed into the current Seijoh team. And the Spring Nationals are the one and only chance to go up against it. We're going to beat them, as a team." A smile made it's way to my lips as Kageyama spoke.

"Defeat the Great King!" Hinata yelled as he ran across the gym, the ball he was holding was lifted above his head as he did so.

"That's my line, idiot!" Kageyama yelled at him, and now they are back to normal. We continued practice until Ukai called it a night.

       The next day we were back to practice, we were taking a short break, I stood next to Ukai explaining the training to him as he drank some water, I was cut off by footsteps approaching us. 

"Um... Is there a way to stop an opponent's spike when they are taller or stronger than you?" Tsukishima asked, he had his hands folded in front of him and a hard look on his face, but his eyes held the need for help. Ukai got excited about Tsukishima asking him for help. 

"Ah, for blocks, what do you think is the most important thing?" Ukai asked, once he snapped out of it.

"Height?" Tsukishima questioned more than answered. 

"It's timing. To put it simply, if their hands were above the net, even a grade-schooler could stop one of Tanaka's spikes. Providing their timing is perfect. Of course, how you have your hands out and reading the line of the ball is important, too. Well, I'm good at putting it into words, but I'm not good enough to actually show you. Someone close to us that excels at being the controlling leader for blocks and has a personal sense for this... would probably be Kuroo from Nekoma." Ukai explained.