1

Y/n POV
The last thing I wanted to do right now was to go home. I mean, not that school was all that fun or anything, but I would much rather be here where it's safe than to go home to my family.

They always say it's those who you share blood with that you should always keep in your life, isn't it?
What a load of bullshit that is.
When your family's a bunch of abusive drunks, you don't exactly share that sort of mentality.

I would much rather today be Friday than Thursday, as I'm sure majority of people would, but my reasoning is likely a bit different than theirs.
Typically on the weekends, I pack a bag full of essentials and haul my ass out of the house until Sunday night, right before I need to go to school again.
I find my chances surviving in the streets to be much higher than in my own home.

I entered the hallway of my apartment building, and I could already hear it.

The yelling.

I mean, I shouldn't be surprised. This is almost everyday for me. But it never fails to send shivers through my body.
I walked to the door and paused before opening it, taking a deep breath.

The yelling had gotten so much louder now.

Then as quietly as I could, I opened the door.
But it was no use.

They were right there.

Mom and Jordan, my older brother, were standing right in front of the door, now paused in their argument from me entering the room.

"Oh it's this bitch" my mother spoke drunkenly,
"what do you want now?".
"I just need to do some school stuff" I spoke carefully, hoping not to provoke any of them.

There was a pause before my mother said, "fine, go then" tripping over her feet moving aside to let me go to my room.
Jordan just glared at me.

A feeling of relief swept across my entire body.
I was lucky.
This time.

I walked quickly to my room and closed the door to do my homework with my dog, Rat, following me.
Yes, my family named our dog Rat.
Well technically he's my dog, I'm the only one who cares for him.
But he is a small, scrawny little thing so it's sort of fitting.
He laid down on my bed as I started working.
A while later my mom left to get food for dinner, and my dad was still at work, so that left me and Jordan alone.

I was sitting on my bed when I heard my door open.
"Whatcha doin'?" Jordan said with his head in the doorway.

Rat started to growl.

"Nothing" I answered and he scoffed at me. "Yeah, that's the only thing you're good for".
I looked up, emotionless.
"You know anything you do, you suck at, that's why you have no friends" he continued.
"Ok" I continued ignoring his comments.
I know he's just trying to mess with my head and get a reaction, it only works sometimes.

Then he rushed up to me and grabbed my neck and started to choke me. Rat started to bark loudly and Jordan shoved him off my bed. "Jordan- please- stop-" I choked out between breaths.
"You don't ignore me you hear?" He screamed at me, spitting on my face as he spoke.
I didn't respond so he repeated "you hear?!" "Yes".
He released my neck and air came swarming into my lungs.

"I'm going out don't mess with my stuff, you hear me you little shit?"
"yeah" I responded holding my neck as he slammed the door shut behind him.

Tears trickled down my cheeks as I continued to breathe heavily.
I can't take this anymore.

I got up suddenly and forcefully opened a drawer in my desk. I ripped out a map of the country and set it on the top of the desk.
Quickly, I tried to flatten out the creases I made when I yanked it out of the drawer, and stood looking down at it.

I needed to go far away from here.
Anywhere.

I closed my eyes and circled my index finger around the map.
I stopped my finger and opened my eyes.

That's where I'm going.

I turned around and grabbed a backpack from my closet, shoving my belongings into it.
Rat sat next to me and whined, tilting his head as if he knew what was happening.
"I'm sorry buddy" I told him.
"I have to go for a little while, but I'll be back".

He sighed and laid down, resting his head on the floor.
I felt bad for not being able to bring him, but I  couldn't afford to take him with me.
I continued packing, eager to leave as soon as possible.

Tulsa, Oklahoma here I come.