Epilogue

It was really impressive how the social worker agreed to show us around one of the foster care houses. We had completed our profile but we felt like we needed to interact with the children in their environment to understand them better and to be able to be good parents to one of them.

After a year of marriage Sam and I had finally decided to adopt. It was a real joy to change someone's life like my parents had done for me. As we walked through the house we met different kids, boys and girls of different ages and backgrounds but none of them had really made an impression on Sam and me.

Suddenly we could hear a wail erupting from the kitchen. It was so alarming that we thought something bad was happening.

"Don't be alarmed." Mary, the social worker assured us, "it's just the latest addition to the household. It's always hard to adapt at first, especially for a toddler." She headed towards the source of the noise and there on the kitchen counter sat the most perfect little girl in a green summer dress. She was crying so hard and rubbing her eyes but she looked perfect.

"The poor thing saw her mother slice her wrists. She's had problems ever since." The social worker explained.

The household owner was desperately trying to console the child to no avail and the wailing continued.

I felt a deep connection to the misery the little girl was going through and I knew I saw myself in her.

"May I?" I asked both the social worker and the care giver. When both shook their heads affirmatively I approached the girl cautiously.

I had a bag of lollipops in my handbag that I had brought with me for the children. I know it's not healthy but who could ever say no to some candy. It always picks up my mood.

"Would you like a lollipop?" I asked taking one out and scooping the crying little girl into my arms.

The girl had to stop her crying to understand what I was asking. She started gasping for air for a minute and rubbing her eyes furiously to stop her tears and try to see what I was offering. I got a tissue from my bag and wiped her runny nose as well as her eyes.

"Would you like a lollipop?" I asked again. This time, the little girl shook her head vigorously.

"Pop...Pop..." She repeated. She has a sweet tooth this one. I could tell. I handed the lollipop to her after removing the wrapper and she sat quietly in my arms as we finished the tour of the house and met all its occupants.

By the end the lollipop bag was fully depleted and the little girl in my arms was worn out from all the crying and already asleep.

As I exchanged a look with Sam over the little girl's head, we were both sure that we had found what we had been looking for.

Two months later our golden haired green eyed little Emma came to live with us. It was a blessing. I wasn't unlucky anymore and I had finally my own little family.

Sometimes dreams do come true. I have Sam to thank for mine.