Chapter 12

Back at the police station, detective Dan tried to narrow down the search based on the information that Leila provided and that they could gather from previous investigations into missing girls that had disappeared under similarly suspicious circumstances.

They had called Leila many times in the following days to follow up on the investigation and to make sure she hadn't remembered why the stranger seemed so familiar to her, but to no avail.

Leila and her university friends had started a campaign to search for her missing friend mobilizing the community to help out. The news outlets broadcast Faith's picture internationally. Nothing came up.

If Faith was still alive someone should have found her by now or seen her and called them.

The pressure to get results was increasing because the opportunity of having a living witness wouldn't be repeated again.

The detective knew that usually the perpetrator of a crime liked to insert himself into the investigation however since Leila got a good look at him they doubted that he would risk being spotted, yet the police asked Leila to be extra vigilant and report anyone that might look suspicious to her.

Dan thought of a quote he read that the famous serial killer Ted Bundy had said: "We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow."

These words were so true today. The kidnapper was most probably a serial killer since none of the kidnapping victims had been recovered even after many years. He was someone that could blend in and not raise suspicion even though he was familiar. He could be anyone of these people that seemed so helpful and excited to lend a hand. Then again, he might not be one of them and still some of them might be psychopaths only here to witness the excitement this incident was stirring. Like leaches feeding off the terror of the people.

And if left unidentified more victims are bound to turn up soon.

The thought was chilling.

They had different reports some contradicting the information they got on this investigation. Dan knew that they needed to stay objective and vigilant.

Leila had come down to the station and sat with an officer and after two long hours, a sketch of the suspect wearing a cap, and sunglasses as Leila had seen him that fateful day, was sent to the networks. The police had a press conference explaining additional detail they had like the car model and advising anyone who had information about this man to come forward the soonest.

They had set up different hotlines. The phones rang off the hook but the information that poured in was controversial to say the least. The police had a long way to go before they could find the perpetrator.

******************

Eva was sent home after four days of hospitalization and a very difficult heart implant. The street in front their house was buzzing with life. Reporters were camping out on the sidewalk shouting questions. Through it all, the house seemed vacant, haunted.

Joseph and Ava had aged so much just in a few days. The spark that had been in their eyes was extinguished and only a dull color remained. Food lost its taste. Music lost its sound. everything seemed colorless and dark.

Eva didn't show willingness to leave her bed. Even Joseph took time off work and didn't leave the house unless there was an emergency.

Leila came over to visit them from time to time. She tried to console them that everything will be ok. That they will find her and that she was a fighter. But even she didn't believe that wholeheartedly. Five days had already gone by and there was nothing to indicate that she was still alive. And sometimes as Leila looked in the Drake's eyes she felt that they were blaming her for her friend's disappearance. As if they were saying "Why did he take her and spare you?"

The future looked bleak. Only Leila had something or rather someone to take her mind off the matter when things got to be too much to bear. The relationship with Gabriel was developing at great speed. They were getting closer and closer mainly because they needed each other. Gabriel needed Leila to take his mind off the horrors he sees in a days work and Leila needed him to distract herself from the thoughts of what might have happened and what might be happening to her friend.

Every day was a battle to all those involved.

**************************************

"Shoot. Shoot. Shout." He said as he stared at the screen showing his image in a cap and sunglasses.

"Yeah I know... " He repeated. "You should have seen her though. She was irresistible." He explained over the phone. "I should have knocked the other birch harder." He sneered then listened carefully to the caller. "You're right. For now, I think I should lay low for a while."

He waited while the other person said something disturbing at the other end of the line. "I know I promised... Yeah, my business here is almost done... I think I found what I lost... I'll need a couple more days to end this and come back..." He explained before being cut off. "No, I think there's someone else involved. That's why I need to be patient. I promise I'll finish this and come back to you baby. I miss you so much."

The person at the other end didn't seem satisfied with the answer. "I think I'll start growing a goatee." He said seriously. "I know how much you liked it when we first met." He laughed when he heard the other's comment. "Would you like a mustache better?" He asked jokingly.

"I love you. I'll bring you a special present when I get back. Or would you rather join me here?" He asked. "Yeah you're right. We can't keep the clinic closed for that long. "he said concerned. "What is the excuse you gave them so I can stay consistent?" He listened some more. "Great. Yes, that's perfect. Tell them that the conference will require a couple more days." The caller interrupted again with the sound of wailing in the background. "What happened?" the man asked concerned.

"Sure, go take care of him." He dismissed. "Bye."

He was going to do this and he was going to make darn sure that he enjoyed it. He was going to turn the worst mistake of his life into the best experience of his existence an afterwards he was going to strive to make every new experience more exciting than the one before.

It was going to be the beginning of endless highs.

**************************************