Epilogue

Epilogue
__

The leaves beneath my bare feet crunched loudly while I ran alongside the dirt road. My feet were immensely sore and blistered from the various of things I had stepped on. I slowed down and looked around, I couldn't tell where I was, for all I know I could be in another country.

Once I was at a walking pace I slowly crept up to the edge of the road so I would have a better view. It was pitch black outside but there was a light source down the road. A tall lamppost stood alone where the road turned right. I scanned my surroundings again and once I knew I was okay I quickly sprung up from the ground and ran across the road. I winced in pain from the gravel, I felt every single rock stab my almost numb feet.

Soon I felt a soft patch of grass under my feet. I stopped abruptly from running and crouched back down to where no one could see me. I looked at my surroundings again and everything looked the same as before.

I peered ahead and decided to go along where the road turned right, I hoped to find something that would help me.

12:51 a.m

It felt like an hour had passed while I made my way down the road. My surroundings slowly changed to where it wasn't so deep with vegetation. There were now fewer trees, bushes, and rough ground.

I stopped as I felt something almost kicking in my stomach. I rubbed my hand over the large bump while wincing in pain. I wasn't supposedly due till tomorrow, I wish I had chosen an earlier time to escape so I wouldn't have to deal with this.

But it was my only chance, my pregnancy was the excuse to escape. I had to plan every bit of this carefully. By now they should be realizing I wasn't in my cell anymore, and that I was long gone.

My back was in excruciating pain from the baby. New signs of labor were coming up slowly, telling me I had to be ready.

I need to find someone I thought to myself, I decided to go back to the edge of the road, to look for something that would give me more hope. Then finally, my eyes had landed on a small house in the field ahead, some lamps were lit and a car was in the driveway, this was a sign.

I quickly ran across the road to reach the field. Soon I was in long blades of grass, this told me I reached the field. A smile came across my face and my eyes filled with hope once I saw the house getting closer by each step.

Finally, after a short five minutes of running, I reached the paved driveway of the house.

I clenched my fists once I felt more excruciating pains from the baby. I couldn't let it stop me, the door was now only a few feet away.

Suddenly I felt water dribbling down my leg, "shit, " I huffed out from exhaustion. My water had broke in the worst possible time. I quickly banged my fists on the door, "help!" I yelled as tears streamed down my face.

A lady maybe in her mid-60s answered the door. Her eyes widened and her face filled with a shocked expression. "Oh, dear, " she said while she helped me up, slowly bringing me inside the house.

"My baby, " I whimpered out once the door closed behind us. The lady looks down and noticed that my water had broke, she reacted with ease. "Come lay down, quickly, " she said, leading me to the couch in her living room.