11- Change Of Command

He could scarcely think of a period of time where he would've wanted to go near your office willingly. 

After all, last time Kira ventured inside the wonder, a contract got branded into his arm like he was nothing more than fodder.

But it simply couldn't be helped that he wondered about the girl you'd taken. In no offense, you look to be nearly as chipper about kids as himself. You'd probably go out of your way to knock an ice cream cone out of their sticky little hands to listen to them cry.

If perhaps that mental image wasn't enough, then he'd point out how you look like the kind of person to hold dogs by their scruff.

Or that you look like you'd feed chocolate to puppies. Or teach a parrot to say sinful things and let it loose in a church.

Either way, you weren't a pleasant person, and whatever metaphor could be used to justify that will have to be recorded, for he's sure there's an infinite amount.

Though the girl you'd taken had hardly bothered to utter a word, far as he knew. Questioning Diego in passing, he told him he hadn't heard her say anything either, though wondered why Kira was so curious about a child. None of his business, he told him.

He would never admit to another person that he had stooped so low as to listen through the door, because then that would be like saying he was no better than Dio, who was also listening through the door.

Somehow, he made it there before Kira, though it was sure that he was there for a completely different reason, not one he bothered to ask about.

The two sat crouched in a mutual silence, a sort of unspoken agreement that they were to be hush about their doings-- something that was bound to immediately break should they be caught. They'd tattle on each other like a couple of toddlers if someone were to discover them.

"Set her on the chair in the back, please. Get a water should she need one." Your voice could be heard commanding what was presumed to be Doppio scurrying around. "I'll take a moment to phone the police."

"I'm not so sure we should do that, Mx. (Y/n)?"

That sentence served as evidence to Kira that you had kept your word; should Doppio remain under your control, he wouldn't question a single command you made. But that left him to wonder, what had made the otherwise meek man so bold?

Just earlier, he contemplated over a period of ten minutes how to ask Kars for a glass of water. Ten minutes, he stood awkwardly beside the bar, shifting around, but apparently that took more bravery than questioning you.

There was an awkward pause that came after Doppio's concerned question. The silence dared him to repeat himself.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know I suddenly demoted myself to a level where you could tell me what to do, mister Vinegar." Your response hit like the prick of a knife. "Mind your place, would you?"

"Forgive me, really, I didn't mean-- It's just, we were talking, while you were downstairs cleaning up, and- The girl, her name's Brooklyn she says- she told me that she can't leave."

"Tell me you're joking. Are you letting, what, a fifth-grader tell you what to do?"

"No, Mx. (Y/n)!" Kira could tell Doppio immediately regretted raising his voice, at least he thought so with the way he quickly made it more gentle. "I'm sorry, and this isn't to undermine your authority, I respect you very much and am happy with working with-"

"Spit it out, Christ's sake!"

"Sorry! The police here are sh- garbage, they're garbage and they're not going to do anything even if we do go to them." Doppio stammered, and if Kira listened close enough he could hear him pacing again. "And the girl, I'm worried she's involved with something really bad."

"Don't you think I know that, you imbecile? I did my part in getting rid of the slime that brought her here, now I'm going to get rid of this burden by dropping her at the police station. She's not my responsibility."

"Yes, Mx. (Y/n), but if you would please look--" Doppio ran to something close by him, a short pace to the side. "--The mafia in this area, don't they run the trafficking? I think they do, I don't know, but she's got this thing tattooed on the back of her hand that tells me it would be really bad if we let her back out there again."

"So you're telling me now I must house a child that is not my responsibility?" Dio nodded in solidarity with your statement, as if to say "I also love neglecting children"

Doppio could be heard sputtering on the other side of the door. "That isn't what I mean, not at all!" 

"Then what are you implying?"

"It would forever weigh on my mind, wondering what happened to her, if I leave her at a police station, or dump her onto the side of the road just outside." He said. "But I do not also want to add on to your stress, give reason to make the color beneath your eyes deeper, so I will take responsibility for her."

"You can't take in any silly little wretch you find and assume people are going to be fine with that, that I am going to be fine with that. Do you forget that you share a room with several other people?"

"I fully understand that, Mx. (Y/n), I could-- There's space in the utilities closet in the hall, if I may? Me and her would sleep there, till I find her parents."

You went quiet for a moment. A deep sigh resounded through the room, and you laughed with the escaping breath. "You're going to sleep in the hall closet?"

"Yes, Mx. (Y/n), if that's what it will take! She won't be 'round long, I promise, I just don't feel right leaving her with someone that will probably do nothing! Or, you know, when I feel like I could do more?"

"Of course, Doppio, because your efforts are the only correct ones."

"No, that's not what I mean! I just mean that I can be very resourceful, I know how to find out things fast, and have friends that can too! And Diavolo, he can help as well, he knows-"

Doppio quickly ran out of either the breath, energy, or excuses he could use to convince you, as the sudden quiet told of his internal battle to come up with something, anything.

But apparently, he didn't need it. Again, you laughed, a bellowing sound that seemed almost wicked in nature before you caved. "Alright. You're determined about this, I see, so I'll have it done. But you will not be watching her."

In the same moment Kira imagined Doppio inflating with relief and excitement, he pictured him sinking back into his little frame and slumping. "What?"

"You'll can still be my assistant, and you can have the girl under your care, but you can't have both at the same time. I'll have Pucci assist you and watch her while you work for me."

"You mean to turn him into a babysitter?" He asked. "But he's the cook! What about the kitchen? Who's going to run it now?"

"I was sure you knew when I asked you to sort my files, but it seemed like it slipped right over your head like everything else."

"Sorry-"

"Don't even start with that. It's alright you missed it, it's not like I asked you to read them all and I didn't expect you to either. But, to catch you up, there will be someone new joining your little band of hooligans soon."

"... Who?"

"Three people, really. Valorie finally caught up to them after some heavy researching--- and speaking of which, since you're so good at that, perhaps you could start helping her out in finding debtors?"

"Of course, I'd be happy to! But, again, who are they? The people coming?"

"If you can manage to get rid of the two idiots listening behind the door, perhaps I'll tell you. The news is not meant for their ears."

Ah. It seems they've been discovered.

"Kira was here first!"