24| It's Cold Tonight

Welcome back!!

--

Y/n: I'm a depressive gambler who is rude to people and has no hope for the future

Valentine: stop seducing me

--

And all at once, everything is dark. A somber, quiet and suspenseful dark.

The entire casino fell dead. It lost its electric breath as it exhaled, the sound of things powering down all at once happening in a single sigh. The silence it left was much louder than anything he'd ever heard, and it kept him frozen in a peculiar fear for just a moment.

Esidesi looks up from where he washed his hands, to the mirror which no longer showed his face but a staring pit of void matter. The water he once stained with red is now no shade or color other than cold, forming around his hands in a streaming hiss.

He turns it off quickly, and leaves your bathroom wiping his hands on his pants. It's dark within your office, though perhaps not as much. The world outside your windows is only barely illuminated. There is no lamps on, the stream of golden light that would slip in beneath your office door from the hall had disappeared, and it became evident that the power went out.

A girlish scream comes from downstairs, and something smashes into pieces. You don't seem fazed even slightly, picking through your drawer with a flashlight in one hand.

"What's happened?" The carpet is disturbed by the dragging of feet, the approach done in a manner cautious as to not accidentally step on anything. "Is the girl alright?"

"I'm fine!" There is a quick running of little feet, and it comes sprinting out of your bedroom. Something hits his legs, and falls backward with a shortened cry.

Esidesi bends down and reaches into the dark, searching, before his hand meets a little head of hair, then an arm, then hand, which he pulls up until the little monster in the dark has regained their balance.

"I'm ok!" The little monster says. 

"I was not concerned." You reply. Pulling something from the drawer, you stuff it into your pocket and make a move to leave the office with your flashlight as a guide. The two follow close after.

But Esidesi could feel the child sulk, the way she'd drag her feet as she went along, and so he leans down, and whispers, "Of course they were not concerned. They know how strong you are, such a resilient little one."

There is a slight huff that leaves you quietly, whether at annoyance of the situation or amusement to Brooklyn's heightened pride, it wasn't discerned. 

An encapsulating darkness, a trio of curious seekers investigate this sudden night, knocking on doors and checking every light. You trace your hand along the walls as you walk through the hall, and though your glove may dull the feeling of the things that pass, you know you've found what you're looking for when there's an odd plaque that sings with your touch.

Without any discretion, you push open the door closest, and meet the inside of the living quarters for the indebted, finding two lumps of sleeping idiots inside a random selection of beds.

"Kira, get up. We're leaving." Your hand meets the back of his sleeping body and shakes him gently but forcefully. "Do not grab your things."

A quiet breath leaves the man, who winces at the bright shine of the flashlight slamming onto his eyes as he wakes. A sleepy voice, deep and crackly, calls to you, "What's going on."

"I will tell you in a bit. For now, wake up and follow me. No questions."

"(Y/n), what is happening."