8- Brainwashing, Maybe

He's caught himself doing it again.

He's caught himself doing it, again; submitting to whatever trance had been programmed into his head since he first stepped foot into the gambling house. He's not sure how many times it's happened now, but it'd been enough that he felt he should do something about it.

You, he knew it was something to do with you, with your casual wave of the hand and dismissive tone; You set an order, and your victim must follow. What magic do you use to influence someone like that?

That same question goes over in his head, playing on loop like some terrible broken record, as he watches Doppio. Watches, and does nothing more, as Vinegar passes out drinks ordered by patrons in the far back, with movements too swift and agile to have actually been consciously made by him. 

A few hours ago, he looked confused. He said he wasn't sure what he was doing, or what he was supposed to do, and went to see you. After that, he came back out of your office just like he did those many days ago, glazed over and dull.  

There aren't many words to describe, or even begin to name the issue, how someone will lose a little part of themselves when you call for them, become subservient with the snap of your fingers. He ended up settling on the term 'brainwashing'.

But that brainwashing doesn't last forever, for reasons unknown. Doppio will shed his false skin within the day, and return to normal, like nothing was ever the matter.

It must have a timer, Kira thinks, where it'll sink from its apex, the time you apply it, and slowly lose it's power before it needs to be redone. However, he could never really be sure, as he's managed to break from that daze several times before, never coming off the influence naturally like Doppio had.

He turned his attention to Diavolo. The man isn't much to stare at, an eyesore really, but he'd been different too. Whenever he'd act up, in any single possible way, your voice would slip through the intercom and beckon him to your office. 

He'd go missing for a while. A long while. Long enough to wonder if he'd died up there. But then he'd come back down, relaxed and euphoric, and all would be swell. 

It's just weird, that's all, that you'd feel the need to keep certain people, not even everyone, on such a tight leash that you'd brainwash them. But why not Dio? Why not Kars? Those two are especially obnoxious. Doppio was a fairly good fellow, what did you believe he was capable of to warrant such an action?

Or maybe you had done those two. Maybe you'd done it to everyone, and he just didn't notice because their changes weren't as stark. Or maybe you're just messing with his head, and he's overthinking everything. Or perhaps it's none of that at all, and he's simply slipping into insanity the longer he stays in the casino, where time doesn't seem to exist.

As he thinks, and thinks, and thinks, his fingers continue to skim the rim of the glass he's been polishing for the past half hour, mindlessly tracing its edge as he considered. 

Kira was a quiet man, a reserved man, who kept himself out of the business of others for the sake of himself. Confrontation had never been something he was good at, though he may be the only one capable of it at this point. 

After all, he liked to think he was special, gifted with the advantage of being able to break from your spell, whatever it was. Given the chance you'd probably manage to convince any other person to drop the matter, it was up to him to discover your intentions.

With that settled, he carefully sat the glass back into place beneath the bar, and silently made his way to the stairs, ignoring the questions that followed him in his leave. Kars could manage the bar alone, this was more important.