10- Her Jacket

It's only been a day since Kira made his deal, and already things had begun to shift.

It started with Doppio racing to your office. Not too out of the ordinary, he's always looking for work to do, trying to prove himself and what he's capable of. Things only began to seemed off when you followed him down after, a searching look on your face as you scanned over the crowd.

Maybe someone was cheating, or doing some shady shit to the machines so they were rigged-- Which were things you did yourself, but y'know, only you could tip the odds. He minded his business as you disappeared into the thick sea of people, and returned to shining his glasses.

Doppio, however, was not necessarily as calm as he. All he asked was a question, of course not knowing how things worked in the casino. He knew that it was crooked to some degree, employees helping patrons in games, gambling questionable items in poker and what not, he was just looking to familiarize himself with what was considered the norm.

So, he asked about something he saw while keeping eye on the main room, "Is it normal for people to be used as gambling bits?"

He waited for you to say yes, just like you said yes to all the other bizarre things you shed light upon: The purposefully faulty wiring in the slot machines made so it was near impossible to win, the seedy people in the back that never played and only chatted, handing odd cases to one another. He just thought it was another oddity of the gambling house.

But perhaps it wasn't, not with the way you'd nearly sprung out of your seat to follow him, yelling at him to show you where such a game was taking place. He apologized for bothering and threw excuse after excuse on why he bothered you, like how Vendetta wouldn't listen and talked over him, how Valorie was gone and Lilith was missing. None of that mattered, though.

"Kars is watching over it for me, he's in the back, by the pool table." Doppio said, slipping between bodies with ease while you forcefully shoved past them. 

It only took a moment to reach the table, some odd game of dominos being played between a handful of different wealth. Nothing seemed odd, but still, you stayed. 

"Kars," You called, "You can go on break now, I'll take over from here. If you happen to pass Vendetta, do tell him to come find me, will you?"

He nodded, and left, confused. Not like Doppio had disclosed to him his suspicion in case he was wrong. 

The group of players paused their pleasant chatting and, one by one, noticed your presence and turned. "Good evening," One of them said, raising a glass. "Not everyday the manager comes down to visit. Care to join?"

They held an untouched glass out to you, full of whatever drink they asked Kira to serve that you had no interest in. "I'm alright, thank you. I just had a question, if that's alright?"

Doppio subtly gestured to a girl sitting off to the side almost hiding behind one of the peoples chairs, though not quite. Your mind twisted with question, and the group nodded for you to go ahead. "Wonderful. I'd just like to ask, are you all aware that children are not allowed in this establishment?"

"Children?" They repeated, looking amongst each other. "We don't have children with us. Unless you're talking about Ricky right there."

They laughed, mocking almost, as a single man from the group threw on a pout, slouching in his seat. He muttered something like 'Not funny', though you couldn't much tell.

Still, you persisted. "Are you sure? Then may I ask, who that would be behind the chair?"

Your gloved hand pointed like a laser at the spot you trained your eyes on. The skirt of a little purple dress stuck out against the plain red carpet.