2/3- The Suits

There was an insistent ringing, a beeping, that hawked at your desk side, which your hand would subconsciously glide to in a weak attempt to keep you happily asleep. Only as your hand would go to punch whatever was squawking in your ear would you realize, snapping into consciousness to stare into a digital clock that blared a horrible screeching sound, with numbers displayed in a disgustingly bright red.

It was morning, naturally.

On your desk, that was where you awoke, with a blanket lazily thrown over your body hunched above the wooden top, your documents and such thrown about almost insanely. And there were days where you asked yourself, "Why do I have such dark eyebags?", when things like this were obvious evidence.

A good sleep, that's what you needed, at least just one honest night of uninterrupted sleep, where no nightmare or unfinished work or emergency could wake you. Maybe it was high time you actually employed more permanent workers instead of relying on people falling into debt, though it was so easy...

Well, if a few of that handful that came yesterday prove useful, then maybe you'd offer them a permanent position, depending on what their life may have been previously. 

A quick shower was all that was needed to wake you, a cold one at that, which would send each nerve in your body into a frenzy, the drowsiness in your eyes flooding away with the water spiraling into the drain. 

Feeling more rushed than usual, you finished up getting dressed on your walk to your offices door, throwing on your tailcoat as you grumbled beneath your breath, struggling to knot your bowtie properly without tangling your fingers in the ribbon. "For fucks sake, of course this happens today, why wouldn't it?"

Those bastards better be up and ready inside their quarters, for if they weren't, there will be hell to pay. After all, you never want to piss off a manager who's already having a shitty day, especially one who's unhinged enough to stab a few people.

Ready to cuss someone out, or drink half a bottle of whiskey, (hell, maybe both), you swung open your door and stomped outside, only to bump into a much smaller, meek body, and stumble back.

"Oh, I'm so sorry about that! I should've stood a bit further back!" A voice trembled.

"Doppio?" You said questioningly, looking down at the poor fool who's head hung low in defeat. "What is it you're doing outside of my office like this?"

"I was, I was just coming to ask what it was you'd like me to help with this morning, since I haven't gotten much training for the bar yet. Miss Lilith didn't give me much instruction other than to get dressed and go work."

"Lilith woke you up?"

"Yes, came into our rooms and told us to get ready in fifteen so you wouldn't... She said something unfriendly, and I hope you understand that I wouldn't want to repeat it."

"Well, of course, I appreciate you listening to her-- Does that mean everyone else is ready as well?" 

"Yes, Mx. (Y/n)."

"Lovely. If you really are that bored to come and ask me for work, Doppio, then you may help me prepare the bar and some tables. I'll have Diavolo do the same so you won't do it alone." You offered a slight smile, though it came off more snarky thanks to your sleep deprivation. 

Down the hall you both went, one stumbling ahead and ready for the day, the other dragging their feet and struggling to keep their eyes open. Such a contrast, some would say, but the casino will soon wear Doppio down too. It does it to everyone. Least, those in higher positions. 

Periodically, Doppio would look behind him. And though it was just a sudden glance, he would always take a moment to study your face, or look into the air behind you. At some point, it began to irritate at you, thinking that this must be his way of mocking you or picking you apart like all the others did. However, that was probably just your grouchy mindset talking.