snippets

(AN: I found these little paragraphs that I originally wanted to turn into a story, but I don't think I will, so here it is, I guess. The story is actually quite similar to shattered, its about mental illness ( that's all I write about, isn't it), so Junhui has schizophrenia and Minghao has depression. Here you go, I guess.)

Minghao didn't expect to wake up.

But he did.

When his eyes finally focused, he was staring up at a white ceiling. A soft pillow cradled his head, a blanket up to his chest, like how one would drape a sheet over a dead body. A faint beeping sound pestered his right ear. He blinks, then tries to sit up, using his arm to prop him up. Searing pain rages across his arm, causing him to hiss.

"I wouldn't do that, if I were you."

A voice startles him. Another person was in the room, a boy. He was dressed in white hospital clothes, flashing a brilliant grin towards Minghao, seated opposite on another bed. "I'm Junhui, you can call me Jun," The boy says, and Minghao replies hoarsely, "Hi Junhui." Junhui smiles, making him wonder if he ever stopped smiling. But it was nice to know, at least he would have a friend to say goodbye to when he tried again.

-

Dinner was a tray of dry rice and a small bowl of bland soup. Junhui sips his soup and nudges his rice plate across the tray. Minghao doesn't eat. Junhui gives a sympathetic smile. "This is all they give here. It's not that bad, if you don't think about it too much."

-

"You're being discharged?" Minghao didn't expect his voice to come out so shaky. Junhui shrugged, fingers still struggling with the zipper of his bag. "I'm 'stable' they say, and I am, I really am, so I told them I wanted to go home, and they let me." He rattled an orange vial. "Still got plenty of meds to eat." That was punctuated with a wink. "I'm gonna miss you," Minghao mutters, hoping Junhui wouldn't hear, but the other perks up and grins, "Me too. But once you get out we can meet. And I'll come visit you too!" His enthusiasm made Minghao's heart ache. A tall beaming man comes into the room and takes Junhui's bag, speaking softly in soothing tones to him. Then he walks out, leaving Junhui standing there. "Bye," Junhui says simply. Then he's gone.

-

Minghao races up the stairs, thanking the gods when he tested the door knob and found it unlocked. Pushing the door gingerly, he spies Junhui curled up in a corner. Carefully making his way through the cluttered room, he managed to crouch down in front of Junhui.

"Hey," He says gently. Junhui raises his head and Minghao sees tears streaming down his gaunt face. "It hurts," Junhui whispers. He clenches his eyes tightly, a fresh wave of tears squeezing out through his eyelids. "It's so fucking loud." Junhui's voice breaks, and Minghao feels his heart sink.

"Let's get you some water," Minghao decides, about to stand when he feels Junhui tugging on his sleeve. "Stay," He says quietly, almost inaudibly. "Okay baby," Minghao says sadly, "I'll stay."

And that's it.