Car ride

"Let's go for a drive," Jeonghan says to Jihoon. Puzzled, the shorter follows suit as Jeonghan slips into his worn old car. When Jeonghan says to go for a drive, it usually means he has something to say. They smoothly cruise down the roads, and Jeonghan picks a random highway. Jeonghan feels that a highway is the best place to have a serious conversation. It allows them to keep their emotions in check. The driver would have to focus on the road, and he has to remain calm, lest they end up in an accident.

"I wanted to tell you, you're the strongest, and I need to plan what I'm gonna say," Jeonghan starts. Cold dread turns in Jihoon's stomach. "What is it?" He carefully pushes on. Jeonghan takes a shaky breath. "Jihoon-ah, how much do you know about cancer? Specifically brain cancer?" Jeonghan asks. "What?"

Another shuddering breath.

Jeonghan looks pained. "Don't...don't take it too hard."

"The doctors say I...have that. Glioblastoma," Jeonghan pronounces every syllabus slowly. That dread starts to curl and crawl through Jihoon's body.

"Is this some kind of sick April Fool's day joke?" Jihoon manages to choke out. Jeonghan lets out a sad laugh, "I wish it was."

The car is silent.

"How...how long do you have?"

Jeonghan shrugs. "Four months? Maybe six, if I'm that lucky?"

Jihoon's eyes are devastated.

Jeonghan smiles sadly. "Aw, my little Jihoonie. The strongest one we had."

Jihoon wipes frustrated tears away. "How can you joke like that?"

The ride home is still and quiet.

As Jeonghan opens the door to their dorm, he turns to Jihoon and says, "I want you to keep this between the two of us, just for now." He hangs his head, "I"ll figure out when I'll tell them." He gives the younger an encouraging smile and gestures for him to go in. Jihoon was silent for the entire night. It wasn't new that Jeonghan had cancer before, it just wasn't publicised. And before it was mild, not extremely life-endangering. But brain cancer, especially those that give you only so little time to live...Jihoon bites back tears. No, he had to be strong. But it was only a matter of time.