Chapter Ten

It's been two days since my parents showed up at the beach house to 'explain' and 'convince' me that I should marry Niklaus. I was pissed and deep down I was hurt at the fact that they can blatantly see that I don't wanna marry Niklaus but they insist that I should ,it makes me want to hate them but deep down I know in my heart I can't. Sky and I still have the gut feeling that we are being watched but whoever it is was a spy that was great at not being seen and as for Nicklaus he hasn't shown up recently but with my parents sudden arrival I can't help but feel he's close behind.

Maybe I should marry him and just get this over with ,I can't put my best friend through this ,she's basically putting her whole life on hold to make sure I don't fall prey to my parents' scheme , she left her whole family without even thinking twice. We were supposed to be at university not half way across california. May I really give up ,I can't let her sacrifice anything else for me ,I can't be genuinely happy for the rest of my life ,she should be happy for the both of us. That was how the voices in my head and I debated to the rest of the days ,so lost in my thoughts not eating ,not sleeping.I can't even face Skylar with a smile because she'll see thru my whole facade so I've just been avoiding her and her noticing what was happening with me she gave me the much needed space.

After much self debating i decided on the one thing that could ensure my best friends happiness and safety of my selfish parents safety ,I eased out of my bed and out of the bedroom for the first time days ,my mind seemed to be on autopilot .I reached Sky's room and knocked on the door there was a quiet come in and i entered.

"We can't keep this up Skylar ,I can't let you put off your whole life like this" I mumbled stiffly sitting on Sky's bed.

"Whaaa.........." She said but was cut short by me

"Listen Sky ,I know you want me to happy and enjoy life ,even if it means we're on the run but I can't have that ,if it means you have to sacrifice your happiness,your safety ,I don't want it,we were supposed to bet a university ,getting drunk at frat parties and wet t-shirt contests ,going on double dates with guys who might have been overwhelmed by our personalities, but even if i can't have that at least you can do that and be happy for the both of us ,and as much as it pains me to do this ,I'm going home and marry Niklaus ,i can't run anymore" I told Sky with a heavy heart.

Skylar looked up at me with tears in her eyes waiting to be release ,she got up off the bed looking at me not saying a word and before i could register what was happening there was the loud sound of a hand hitting flesh followed by a searing pain in my cheek.Sky had slapped me ,I really did it .

"ARE YOU STUPID ,YOU THINK I'M 'SACRIFICING' MY HAPPINESS ,NINE YEARS ,NINE YEARS THAT'S HOW LONG I'VE SEEN YOU SUFFER AT THE HANDS OF YOUR PARENTS WHO NEGLECTED YOUR BASIC NEED OF WANTING JUST THEIR ATTENTION FOR JUST FIVE MINUTES,YOU BEEN USED AND IGNORED TIME AND TIME AGAIN BY THEM ,YOU THINK I'M UNHAPPY RUNNING HALF WAY ACROSS CALIFORNIA WITH MY BEST FRIEND ,THEN YOU JUST AS DUMB AS ROCKY IN HIGH SCHOOL " She shouted at me then paused for a second to catch her breath then continued "IF YOU THINK I'M GOING TO LET YOU MARRY THAT SADISTIC SON OF A BITCH BECAUSE OF YOUR MONEY HUNGRY PARENTS THINK AGAIN ,I RATHER YOU MARRY A BABOON THAN HIM ,YOU AIN'T SACRIFICING SHIT FOR ME OR YOUR PARENTS YOU IDIOT."

By the time Skylar was done she was fuming and even scared me a bit ,I now see why the kids in school never messed with her; she's a beast when pissed.

"Skylar you have to listen" I tried to reason with her

"Shut up " She said ready to quarrel

"Welp now I know why people feared you" I joked trying to lighten up the situation

"I'm not in the mood Mia,I'm going out" Sky muttered grimly, picking up her jacket and keys and walking out . Now I had done it , had never seen her this pissed .

Sometimes I'm my worst enemy.