Chapter 20

Niall's POV

              I woke up to a completely empty bed and light pouring into the room. I looked around for anyone around, but I was alone. When I went to get out of bed and stretch but my right wrist felt tight. I looked down at it and saw it nicely wrapped. I guess Zayn did that for me. I don't know why I thought rolling on the bed would be a fun idea. I just ended up rolling right off the damn thing! I also noticed I wasn't in my sweats and jumper anymore. I was just in some tight black boxers and a white t-shirt. I don't remember doing that, so I'm guessing Zayn also got me confortable for bed time. He's always so sweet, I just think sometimes he has these out of body experiences where he just isn't himself. Where he gets violent and, well, crazy.

              I walked down stairs and heard Zayn talking, but I didn't know to who. I really hope he isn't going to start talking to himself now. Then I would start to get really worried about him. I crept around the corner of the entry to the living room and saw him just sitting on the couch, holding Sam in his arms gently. It looked like he was afraid to hold him to tight or even touch him. After seeing what he did to Liam, I don't know if I really trust him with the puppy anymore.

             "Do you like me? Like, do you mind me being your daddy?" He asked the puppy. I smiled because he sounded so sweet. He was scratching behind his ears and the Sam seemed to love it.

               "I guess I just want to be good for you. I just want you to like me and trust me. I promise I won't hurt you. Not like my dad did to that one doggie. I'll be good for you. Just like I'm good for Niall. He's the best thing that's ever happened to me. He's doesn't know this, but I've been thinking about moving away somewhere different. Like America or something. A place where we can be free and not have to worry about the bad people out there trying to take him from me. They want to take him, but I won't let them. I'll keep him safe. We both will. We're like a little family now. Do you mind that?"

             I was trying hard not to giggle at Zayn. He was having a full blown conversation with a dog. I liked his idea of us being a family, but I knew I still had one that was looking for me. I walked out from behind the wall and Zayn looked up. He had black bags under his eyes that where swollen from crying. His normally styled black hair was just sticking up everywhere and his tan skin looked almost yellow. But, the thing that made all of this look better was the toothy smile he was giving me.

             "We are a family. Sam is our baby." I said, returning a smile. He pat a space right next to him one the couch, so I sat down.

              "Do you... are you mad at me?" Zayn asked this like a child asking if he was in trouble. His smile dropped as he looked for any emotions on my face. I shook my head. His smile returned. "Good, I couldn't really sleep after I got home because I was afraid you were. I don't want to ever upset you."

              "You won't upset me. I worry about you sometimes, but you don't have be afraid if I was upset. You need to get sleep, you look exhausted." He sighed and shook his head.

            "Not really." He said and put Sam on the floor so he could run around. He got up and started walking to the stairs.

            "Where are you going?" I asked. He kept walked as he answered me.

             "I have to go clean my stitches. I'm supposed to two times a do so it won't get infected, but I haven't been doing that." I got up and followed him upstairs to his, now clean, bathroom. I guess he cleaned it himself while I was sleeping. He took off his shirt and my stomach started stirring with heat.