Chapter 31: The End

It was still early in the morning when Robert opened his eyes.

"Damn", he muttered quietly, eyes wide open as he stared at the ceiling, running his fingers through his hair.

He turned to the left and looked right at the place I was laying, exactly like I did the night before.

But this time, he stared through me.
Like usually.

He sighed and remained in that position for a while.

Then, he suddenly jumped out of bed, put on his grey sweatpants, a blue shirt and the matching blue beanie and ran downstairs.

I followed him into the kitchen where he poured himself his usual class of scotch.

While drinking, he closed his eyes, enjoying the bittersweet taste of alcohol on his lips.

"Please don't", I sobbed and reached out for his hand that was resting on the counter, "Don't do that to yourself, Robbie. It was not my intention to make you feel worse."

I recognized a single tear escaping the corner of his eye.

I held his hand tighter, softly stroking its back with my thumb.

"All this time", I quietly started explaining, "Since Liz has seen me the first time... She wanted to tell you about my presence, wanted to tell you I was still around, watching over you. But I told her not to. Because I wanted to wait until you were ready to cope it."

I swallowed hard and took a deep breath.

"And last night", I continued quietly and faked a smile, "I thought you were ready. But actually..."

I regarded him closely, placing the empty glass on the counter again.

"I might have made a mistake."

He sighed quietly before he exited the kitchen and walked through the hallway, right towards the door.

Then, hesitantly, he opened it and was received by the bright sunbeams, shining into his caramel eyes.

The change in the expression of his eyes was unmistakable.
I used to remember the first time we've met. His eyes were sparking like thousands of little diamonds in the sun of a bright summer day. Yet, there was something dark in them. Deep down in the most hidden place of his soul, the darkest corner where his demons were hiding. But this darkness was just like a little spark in his heart that was about to choke.
And when Grace died, the spark started to grow inside of him. More and more, bigger and bigger until it had overcome him completely.
That was the day I died. The day, he was at the hospital and he was eventually allowed to see my dead corpse. Pale and lifeless, lying on the hospital bed, covered under a blanket. That was the moment when darkness had invaded his heart and soul. The moment, his eyes turned black and cold.
Just like they were now.

Robert slowly stepped outside and looked up to the grey sky, arms akimbo, as he narrowed his eyes, snowflakes constantly falling.

Then, he took a deep breath and started to run.

First, hesitantly. But then, after a few steps, he ran faster.

Around the corner, along the street, until the end of the road.

Faster and faster.

I didn't know how long he was already running. And although he was barely able to catch his breath, he didn't stop. He ran along Wilshire Boulevard like there was no end.

But then, finally, he stopped, right in front of the familiar building we've been to so many times.

Cameras flashed all around us as we stood on the red carpet, hand in hand, Robert gently kissing my temples. A smile appeared on my face as soon as I glanced at him, feeling prouder than I could ever describe.
Robert had been nominated for Best Actor in Sherlock Holmes. And although he tried to cover his nervousness, I could see the truth in his eyes.