Chapter 41: Lost Piece Of A Puzzle

"Ah, come on, Robert, that's rubbish!", the usually calm Briton suddenly interrupted, "You're killing yourself because of some misguided thought of reuniting with your family? Do you really think that's the way it works, die and live happily ever after? Open your eyes, Robert! You've lost your mind!"

Everyone in the room was now staring at Tom who's whole body was shaking, his fists clenched.

"You don't know what I know", Robert countered, his voice quiet and weak, "I've seen her, Tom. I've seen Kate. She was there, it was really her. It's not just in my mind but I know she's waiting for me. Too long already."

Tom sighed, shaking his head.

"Have you ever listened to yourself, Rob? Do you hear what you're saying?", he said then, "That's nonsense."

"If you don't believe me, why don't you ask her?", Robert suggested quietly, now looking at Liz.

She gulped, realizing how Tom was staring at her with his brows furrowed in confusion.

"What is he talking about?", he wanted to know, never keeping his eyes off her, "I don't understand..."

"Tom, it's not that easy", she replied, quickly looking at him, back at Robert, then back at him, nervously rubbing her hands, "I don't quite know how to explain..."

"Try", Tom insisted and shrugged, "I want to know the truth."

Liz bit her lip and grabbed his arm, leading him out of the room, through the endless and crowded corridors of the hospital, through the foyer until they got outside, raindrops pouring down on their heads.

"I-... I've seen her", she said then, her hands trembling just like the rest of her body, "I've seen Kate, talked to her and... He's not hallucinating, Tom, it's the truth."

He shook his head in disbelief, staring right into her warm brown eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me?", was all he asked, his voice shaky.

Liz uttered a sigh and closed her eyes, running her fingers through her hair.

"When I found out", she eventually continued, "I thought I was crazy,- yes, insane. I thought I had lost my mind. She was just standing there. A woman, I have never in my life seen before, talking to me like she was-..." She gulped, shaking her head. "Like she was real. But she was dead. Can you imagine what kind of mess my head had become? I was talking to a ghost!"

"Liz", Tom insisted, reaching out for her hand but she just moved away, not allowing his touch.

"Can you imagine how many tests I've made, how many doctors I've visited to find out what was wrong with me?", she added then and I realized the single tear that was now streaming down her cheek, barely able to recognize because of all the rain that blended in with it, "And each of them told me exactly the same, told me there was nothing wrong with me. So, yes, I didn't tell you because how were you supposed to believe me when I couldn't even believe myself?"

He took a deep breath, smiling sadly, as he eventually wrapped his arms around her body, holding her close to his chest while he caressed her hair.

"I'm sorry", he apologized then, biting his lip, "I didn't mean to shout at you. It's just..."

He hesitated for a second, closing his eyes.

"He's my best friend", he added almost inaudibly, his voice about to fail, "He's my best friend..."

And for a while, both of them simply stood there in the cold rain, holding each other tightly, reassuring each other that the world hadn't ended yet.