Chapter 14: Sunrise

As the first sunbeams shone through the huge windows of our chamber, I still laid next to Robert, watching his chest slowly move up and down. After he had finally fallen asleep last night, he now rested peacefully. I softly kissed his cheek and caressed his hair.

Suddenly, his phone rang and I sat up.

He moaned and searched for it with his fingers, keeping his eyes closed.

"Downey?", he muttered as he finally accepted the call, "I'm currently not available."

I didn't know who was calling. The caller's voice seemed familiar to me but I didn't know where I've heard it before.

Immediately, Robert opened his eyes and moved to the corner of the bed, running his fingers through his hair.

"I'm not quite sure", he mumbled after a while, "I don't think I'm ready for that now... Besides, she'll be there as well, right?"

He listened to the person calling him closely.

I've heard his voice before. Probably somewhere I've been with Robert once but we've been to so many places and met so many people...

"May I call you back tomorrow?", he suggested, "I'll tell you my decision then, okay, Guy?"

Now I knew where I've heard his voice before. London, back in 2009, on the set of Sherlock Holmes. And if Guy Ritchie was calling Robert now that could only mean he wanted him for the third Sherlock movie.

"You should accept his offer, Robbie", I whispered and laid my head against his shoulder.

Of course, he couldn't hear me. I got used to that fact. And still it broke my heart every time.

Robert stepped outside, quickly leaving the hospital right behind, raindrops pouring down his head as he stared at the pavement, his hands shivering.

"Robbie", I whispered, tears streaming down my cheeks as I reached out for his hand. But I couldn't touch him. Although I held his hand, it was not the same as before. When I was still alive.

He closed his eyes and clenched his fists, biting his bottom lip.

Then, I recognized his eyes filling with tears.

"You don't have to fight against it", I sobbed as a tear streamed down his cheek. But he couldn't hear me. A fact, I still had to get used to.

He would have blamed it on the rain. And although he'd never admit he was crying I knew exactly how he felt. Because I knew him. I knew him better than anyone else.

Robert sighed and looked at the clock. He ran his fingers through his hair before he got up and entered the bathroom, getting ready for his appointment with Liz. He quickly jumped under the shower before he put on a pair of black jeans, a white v- neck shirt and a black leather jacket, perfectly fitting to his black glasses.

"Let's hope Liz doesn't recognize your smell of booze", I mumbled jokingly as I followed him downstairs, exiting the house.

For a second, he stared at the silver Audi A8, standing I the driveway. But then, he quickly looked away, deciding to take a cab.

"Downtown", he mumbled and made himself comfortable on the backseat.

"I need an exact address", the driver retorted almost as impolitely as Robert.

"Um, don't know...", he replied and rubbed his eyes, "Elizabeth Shaw's practice?"

The driver looked at him in the mirror and nodded slightly before he hit the accelerator and finally drove off.