Chapter 29: Illusion

It was about midnight when Liz parked in front of our house.

She looked at Robert who sat on the passengers seat, obviously lost in his own thoughts.

She carefully touched his shoulder to wake him up again.

"Robert?"

Immediately, he turned to her.

"Oh, yeah", he mumbled and rubbed his eyes, "Thanks for taking me home."

She half smiled at him with the same welcoming smile he got used to during the last weeks.

"I guess I'll see you on New Year's Eve, right?", she assumed, referring to Tom's invitation earlier.

"Sure", he agreed as he exited her car, "See you then."

"Good night, Robert", Liz waved goodbye, "Sleep well."

He nodded slightly before he silently walked towards the house, opening the door before Liz eventually drove off.

As soon as he closed the door, he turned on the lights in the hallway, slowly drifting upstairs where he paused in front of her room, running his fingers over the dusted letters.

"Merry Christmas, sweetheart", he whispered and placed his hand on the wooden door, carefully leaning his forehead against it as a single tear escaped the corner of his eye.

I bit my bottom lip as I gently caressed his back.

"Get some sleep, Robbie", I whispered, "You look exhausted."

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before he eventually turned around and entered the bathroom where he turned on the water faucet and wetted his face.

After another deep breath, he slowly raised his head to look at himself in the mirror. His eyes have already been bloodshot again.

"You look like crap, Downey", he muttered quietly and rubbed his eyes, yawning.

I giggled and leaned my head against his shoulder.

"You're still the handsomest man I've ever seen", I countered smirkingly, stroking his strong arm.

He sighed and dried his face before he entered our chamber, laying down on his side of the bed. Crossing his arms behind his neck, he stared at the ceiling.

Hesitantly, I laid down next to him, reaching out for his hand.

"Kate?", I heard him call my name through the house, "Kate?"

Quickly, I approached him in the living room.

"What's wrong, Robbie?", I asked as I sat down on the couch right next to him.

Immediately, he grabbed my hands, softly stroking them with his thumbs.

Suspiciously, I raised my eyebrows.

"What happened?", I repeated anxiously as he didn't answer my question, just staring at me, "Robbie, please, you're scaring me..."

He quickly leaned over to kiss me.

"I love you", he whispered and gently tucked a strand behind my ear, "And because I love you so much, I want you to be okay after..."

"Are you sick?", I wanted to know, trying to understand what he wanted to tell me.

He chuckled and kissed me again.

"No, I'm alright, darling", he assured me, running his fingers through my hair, "I've just thought about what my father had told us..."

I sighed in relief and playfully punched his shoulder.

"Ouch", he mumbled jokingly.

"You're a jerk, Robbie", I pouted then, "I was afraid about you..."

"Meh, there's no need to worry", he countered smirkingly, "You'll have to endure me for quiet some time, my love."

"And I will, gladly", I promised and finally smiled at him, "And because of the affiance... That's okay. I am not mad or offended..."

Suddenly, he placed his finger on my lips.

"Stop talking, gorgeous", he added, "And listen to me first."

I nodded slightly and showed him to carry on.

"I don't want an affiance", he continued then, "I trust you, Kate. And I don't expect us to file for divorce at all. But I expect to predecease you. You know, because of my past and everything..."

He rolled his eyes, faking a smile. I wanted to say something but he didn't let me.

"I want you to be safe and alright when I'm gone", he concluded, "I want you to have a good and wealthy life... And I want you to agree with me right now, no arguments! Okay?"

Slowly, he pulled his finger away, allowing me to speak again.

"Rob-", I wanted to say but he had already placed his finger on my lips again.

"No arguments, Kate", he repeated, his voice soft and calm, yet decisive, "Promise me."

For a while, we simply remained silent, looking into another's eyes.

"I promise", I finally agreed with his conditions.

Robert chuckled quietly and turned to the left, staring at the empty place I was laying.

I turned to the right, still holding his hands in mine as our eyes met.

"If I could", he mumbled quietly, "Then I'd go wherever you will go."

I half smiled at him, gently caressing his cheek.

"My love for you is eternal, Robbie", I whispered, running my fingers through his hair before my hand rested on his cheek, "It will always go on. In your heart, in your mind... I'll stay with you forever, guide you through the darkest of your days. I love you, Robert. I always will."

Then, hesitantly, I tried something I've never did before.

Slowly, I moved closer towards him, closing my eyes as I already felt his warm breath on my bare skin before I carefully placed my lips on his.

It felt like an electric shock went all through my body but at the same time, I found relief.

Enjoying our intimate togetherness, I wanted this moment to last forever.

But when I opened my eyes again, I quickly moved away from him, his caramel eyes focussing on the place I was laying.

"Kate?", he asked, trying to catch his breath, "Is this real? Is this-... Are you real?"

------------------------------------

Hello there :)

Another (short) update because it's my birthday and I love all of you (not in a creepy way)!

Love,

Sarah :)