Chapter 42: How To Save A Life

Whenever there is a storm, there is this feeling inside of you. This certain feeling that's growing on you. We call it fear. A feeling nobody is fond of. The feeling that uses to send shivers down your spine, frighten you and think about life. A feeling that makes you overthink, not only your life but also if you did everything right. Did you prepare yourself for this storm?

A storm, that's nature. A phenomenon. There's no one who has any influence on this event. It just happens, it's natural, mighty.
A storm might change your life, affect your life in a way you would not have wanted. But you can't know about its' consequences in advance. So you wait. And that's the worst part.

The wait. The endless silence of living in unconsciousness of the truth, of the uproar that storm might have caused. The wait that makes your legs shake and your voice fail, that let's you freeze, unable to move. But you have to get through this, get through the storm. 'Cause there's an end to every storm. We just have to wait for it.

And as the sun hit my eyes, blinding me as I silently laid down on the ground, simply staring into the blue depths of the sky, I felt the instant relief cursing into my body. The welcomed feeling of relief that made my muscles relax and enjoy the warmth of the sun- in opposite to the cold concrete pavement- on my skin. The feeling of relief because of the end, the end of the storm. There was no uproar, no earthquake. It was just silence.

Peaceful silence.

That was all. And for a moment that seemed like ages, I was just laying on the cold ground, enjoying this wonderful moment.

Until I heard a sound. A voice that broke the bittersweet silence I was experiencing.

Soft and caring, yet concerned.

It was her.

"Robert", she said only above a whisper and quietly closed the door as she entered his room, slowly walking towards him, "Your sister said you wanted to talk to me."

He gulped and closed his eyes, taking a long, deep breath.

"I agreed", he stuttered then, his voice even weaker than before, licking his lips, "I agreed. Ally is probably talking to Doc Coulson right now..."

He paused again, panting for some fresh oxygen in his lungs.

Immediately, a small smile formed on her lips.

"I'm glad you decided that way, Robert", she mumbled and leaned against the wall next to his bed, "Tom, he's... He's afraid and he's about to lose his mind. You're his best friend and-..." She hesitated for a second, nervously playing with her hands. "And I-..."

"Liz", Robert then interrupted her, slightly shaking his head, "You don't have to say anything. It's me who's supposed to say something. It's me who has to thank you. For everything." He took a deep breath and scratched his neck. "I know, we've gotten off to a rocky start but in the end... You were there. You've always been there when I was in need. And I never knew how to thank you..."

"All I did was my job", she countered and half smiled at him.

"Maybe", he agreed weakly, "But now that we can't know if this is a goodbye or a see-you-later..."

Instantly, her eyes widened.

"Liz, there's an envelope at my house", he continued then, "It's under-... Under her pillow in the bedroom." He licked his lips again. "If I don't make it... I want you to go there and take it. I want you to have it. None of all this matters to me if there's no one to share it with. There's nothing left on this side I'd need if I..."