Chapter 28: Brave Idyllic World

When Robert hung up his coat at Liz's practice, the last snowflakes melted, leaving a puddle on the ground.

"Dr. Shaw is already waiting for you", the blonde receptionist said with a smile on her lips.

Robert nodded quickly before he walked along the white corridor and opened the door on the right where Liz was already sitting, waiting for him. She was wearing a black costume with a white blouse, her hair in a ponytail.

As soon as he entered the room, she got up to shake his hand with the same welcoming smile as always. But there was something else about her. She seemed to be more relaxed than usually, happier than usually.

"Hello Robert", she greeted politely as both sat down.

"Hey", he greeted back, faking a smile.

"I'm sorry but today we only have a quick appointment", Liz apologized and examined him closely, "As you already know, my practice will be closed during the festive period..."

"Yeah", Robert agreed, "I remember."

Liz nodded slightly and I caught a glimpse of her looking at me for a while.

This time of the year surely wasn't easy for neither Robert nor me. The first Christmas we couldn't be together...

"Okay", she concluded eventually and searched for something under the table.

"This is my number, my private number", she explained calmly, handing him her card, "In case of emergency, please do not hesitate to call me. No matter what comes to your mind, call me. I'll be there when you need me, Robert."

Hesitantly, he reached out for her card, not sure whether to accept it or not.

"You're important to me, Robert. I care about you", she added then, obviously trying to convince him, "Don't take any chances..."

"Okay", he finally agreed, "Thank you."

Her smile widened immediately.

"You don't have to thank me, Robert", she countered. And for the first time since I've known her, I thought she at least blushed a little as the gorgeous smile that made his eyes crinkle appeared on Robert's lips.

"Merry Christmas", he said, still smiling at her, as he got up, "And Happy New Year!"

She smiled back at him, reaching out for his hand to say goodbye.

"Merry Christmas, Robert", she replied and waved goodbye as he exited her room, walking down the hallway.

"Merry Christmas, Liz", I whispered as I walked by, trying to reach Robert.

She half smiled at me before she closed the door behind.

Robert already walked along the pathway as I quickened my path to reach him again. A grey scarf around his neck, he rubbed his hands to stay warm.

Silently, we walked through the crowded streets where thousands of people tried to find presents for their loved ones. I've always been surprised by the amount of people who actually bought their presents on Christmas Eve itself. Like it would have been a surprise...

Suddenly, we stopped in front of a quiet familiar cafe.

Robert took a deep breath before he entered, hanging up his coat and the scarf at the entrance before he sat down at one of the tables in the corner.

"Good afternoon", one of the waitresses greeted politely, "How can I help you?"

For a second, he stared out of the window, regarding the cars that were passing by through the snow.