Brett's Dilemma

Brett's POV

"You can chill for a bit here, I'll be ready for the dinner a minute."

I smiled to y/n's Mom when I arrived at her home in the evening. Her Mom is so welcoming to me and told me to make myself at home.

After a few minutes, I'm already sitting at the dining room and having a nice dinner with her family.

"You're at the same orchestra with y/n right?" Her Mom ask me in the middle of the dinner.

I nod. "Yes, Mrs. Y/n has been a great help for me in the orchestra."

"Wow, that's great!" Her Mom smiles. "I heard a lot about you, it's nice to know y/n have a great life with you."

"Mom!" I see y/n shouts with a blush in her cheeks.

I smile. "Same to you, Mrs. You got a pretty nice girl with you here."

Y/n's cheeks instantly burns with my words. She immediately stare at me. "Prankster."

But I just laugh seeing her reaction. "That's the truth, you know! What are you so embarrased about?"

Her Mom laugh seeing me and y/n talk. "Well, come by anytime, Brett. I would love to hear more about your life."

"My life isn't that interesting but okay, sure, Mrs. I can practice violin with y/n here sometimes, if you don't mind." I said.

"Please do! I'll be waiting! Maybe you both can practice with Eddy too! I hear you three are friends now, right?"

Both me and y/n become silent after that sentence. I can see y/n starting to look down from my tip of my eye, while I'm trying to keep my smile.

"Y-Yeah. You're right." I said, then glance up to y/n. She looks sad again like at the practice this afternoon.

After the dinner's done, y/n invited me to stay for a while. y/n's Mom decides to go rest into her room, while y/n's gone to her room for a sec to change her clothes so I'm just alone here.

I slowly take a step there, looking at some photos on the hanging shelf. Most of them are photos of her Mom and Dad, with little y/n and little Matt. They look so happy on those photos.

I smile looking at their smiles. It's so amazing to see they grow up so happily. Little y/n looks so cute too with her pigtails.

My smile fade away when I see a photo frame in the corner of the shelf. It's a different photo from the rest.

My hand reach out to that photo and I hold it with both hands. I look into the figures there deeply. It's little y/n for sure. But she's not with her family in that photo. She looks laughing there with another figure. A boy taller than her who join the laugh. They were sharing a hug too.

"Is this...?" I wonder myself.

"It is."

I glance to the sound, a little starlted. I didn't realize y/n has come and stands not far from me.

I put back the photo and looks at y/n with a lot of questions in mind. "I'm sorry if I'm being rude."

y/n smiles. "It's okay, Brett. I just don't want to put it away, so I displayed it there."

"You guys are really best of friends long time ago, huh?" I ask.

"Eddy was a great boy, as I told you before," y/n comes closer to me and look at that photo. "We don't have many friends back then, so it's always about the both of us. Playing, laughing, even crying together. We live in a happy childhood."

"I see..." I nod a few times.

"To tell you the truth, what have made me disappointed the most is... we made a promise." She look down a bit.

"Promise?" I squit my eyebrows.

"Before he left for Brisbane, we promise each other that we will still best friends until he comes back here."

"Oh..." My voice weaken. I feel bad hearing that. Eddy's words about leaving haunt me immediately.

I can't imagine how sad she will react if she heard what I heard the other day. I even didn't have the rights to know this first. Eddy should have told her in the first place.

I'm starting to feel conflicted whether I should tell her or not. Part of me said Eddy should be the one that tell this to her. It's worst after she told about the promise too. But the other part makes me feel bad to kept secret from her.

"Brett?"

"Huh? Oh, i'm okay," Surprised a bit from that call, I immediately smile and put my hand to her hair softly. "Don't worry, everything will be fine."

She just smile weakly, making me more curious about what's going on with her.

Eddy... you're not really serious about leaving, aren't you?

---

To be continued :)