Nimrod

You run with your knees swinging so fast. It's 15 minutes till the orchestra practice starts and you feel really stupid to sleep in. You think about how will the conductor humiliate you if you really come late to the practice.

Shit, shit, shit.

Truth is, you just intended to take a nap before the practice, because you feel you need to recharge your energy. Your head just feels kinda heavy. You even set the alarm so you won't sleep in. But setting the alarm didn't help at all because you immediately turned it off and kept on napping.

You can get a uber to get there faster, but you thought waiting the uber itself needs time.

You were going to the hall so quickly, until you see Eddy on the entrance alone.

You stop near the stairs, prop your hands to your knees and panting, recovering your breath from running.

"Are you okay?" You hear Eddy's voice while you were panting.

"Hhh... Yes, I'm fine," you stand up straight and give Eddy a little smile. "Uh, I'm just racing with the time..."

You see Eddy's worried face, then continue panting.

"By the way, what are you doing here?" you ask.

"Um, I just met with Brett so..." Eddy said with a doubt. But seeing you still panting, he change the topic immediately. "Um, do you want to sit for a while before practice, y/n? You look really tired."

"Shoot! I'm late for practice! Sorry, Ed, I'll see you later!" You get panic again hearing the word practice. You quickly run into the hall without waiting for Eddy to answer. You're running out of time.

You rush in and quickly sit in your place, besides Brett of course. Fortunately, you arrive the same time with the conductor.

"Where have you been, y/n? i thought you're going to be early as always." Brett immediately look at you. He already ready with his violin.

"Sorry, Brett, I slept in a bit," You grin. "Were you waiting for me?"

Brett squints his eyebrows hearing your question. His face gives a speechless expression.  "Dude..."

You chuckle. "Sorry. I'll treat you some bubble tea later."

"Nah. Bubble tea is not a solution to everything you know."

"Awww... what do you want then, dear?" You pinch Brett's cheek and shake it playfully.

Brett smirks. "How about a Hotpot date?"

You smile happily. "Deal. Then, mind to help me with the tuning, dear Brett Yang?"

"With pleasure." Brett smiles and helps you tune the violin.

You and Brett starts the orchestra practice. The conductor starts to construct you all to play the Prokofiev that you're rehearsing.

The orchestra practice goes well with the orchestra plays their part quite smooth, the conductor also seem to be happy with the practice.

"Now the woodwinds section please, Clarinet, play."

Now, its time to play per section. You and Brett put the violin down for a while.

You glance into Brett. "Hey, how's your busking session doing, mister?"

Brett glance back to you. "Hm? It's quite interesting."

"That's nice of you, actually."

"You know, he can be such a total loser when it comes to make friends."

"Oh, you're talking about yourself?" You smiles.

"Well, at least I have overcome it, okay?" Brett gives you a deadpan face.

You laugh. "How about we hang out together then? The three of us."

Brett smiles to you. "Oh, Eddy actually hanging out until we're done. You want to go somewhere?"

You raise your eyebrows. "Oh, is that why he's here?"

Brett lift his shoulders. "Probably? He didn't say much though."

--

"Edward!" You call to Eddy that are still sitting in the stairs of the hall, the same place as when you met him earlier. He seems really hanged out there until you and Brett finished.

Eddy glance to you and Brett. He smiles silently.

"You sure are a good loner, Mr. Chen. How can you hang out alone here for hours?" Brett ask when you and him arrived in front of Eddy.

Eddy rolls his eyes. "I'm used to it, anyway. So... how's the practice?"

"Good. I believe you can hear from here," Brett said. "So, what do you want to do?"

"Uh... I actually just want to ask you both something..." Eddy scratches his neck shyly.

"Oh? What is it?" you ask curiously.

"Um... You know I have been invited to a music school for the kids," Eddy starts to explain. "But, since I didn't have any idea how, I thought... uh, it will be nice if I invited some friends to help me out."

You and Brett look at each other. You both quite surprised hearing what they heard just now.

"I'll be happy to, Ed." You smile at Eddy.

"First thing first, what's with the Edward thing?" Brett ask.

Eddy grin, his face become red. "It's.... a nickname my close relatives call me. My actual name is Edward, if you want to call me that."

"Oh..." Brett said with a deadpan face. Then he smirks. "You got yourself a deal, Edward Chen."

Eddy smiles happily. His face brighten up so much knowing that he has some supports now. "Thank you guys!"

--

To be continued :)