tag, you're it

Staccato taps against the chalkboard resonated monotonously throughout the classroom as students within their seats observed their mathematics teacher copy off excessive equations sorted out from their geometry textbooks.

Final exams were just right around the corner. Three days precisely. Therefore, Sumiya high schoolers have been contributing and immersing themselves lately within their supplementary classes.

Sumiya private academy was a school occupied by students from powerful families involved in the political and financial world. Its monument holds the highest hierarchy in Japan and happens to be governed by mighty student councils.

Those who perform inadequacy within the institution firmly get oppressed, thus threatened till death blooms existence. Poor engagements were absolutely forbidden!

Moreover, registrants without identifications of wealth get easily rejected. However, the tyrant tradition didn't last long once spring bloomed early in April.

One lucky girl actually managed to breakthrough despite not containing the most wanted requirements: being an upper class and coming from a family with a high political status.

She even made it on the news as a recognition!

Sumiya students were mortified. Infuriated.

Was there perhaps an error in the system that allowed her into their program?

Albeit the students tried obtaining the reasoning behind her acceptance, none of the principals would come clean. Classified information outside the office wasn't easily obtained.

Nevertheless, the maddened students weren't going to ignore such a free-spirited low class girl ruin their institution's rules by roaming around campus freely.

Horrid consequences would severely approach.

Once ending the problem with a question mark, the middle-aged woman pedagogue shifted her attention back upfront, only to instantly frown upon setting eyes on one of her slumbered students who's left cheek was rested atop her desk beyond the last row.

'Not again...' A tired sigh escaped her burgundy shaded lips as she strode towards the black haired girl's seat, holding a ruler within her palm, ready to strike like a predator claiming its prey.

"Manaka Takahashi!" The said sixteen-year old girl flinched at the sudden smack against her desk. She abruptly straightened her posture and gazed at her lecturer with perplexed eyes.

"This isn't the time to be dozing off when you have finals scheduled in three days! How are you going to manage with that brain of yours?" The woman poked her head with the ruler.

"S-Sorry! I was just—"

"No backtalks! Focus!" The older woman retraced her steps to the front podium, leaving an embarrassed adolescence solemn in place.

///

While the Westminster clock announced it's lilting tunes, indicating school was over, the fatigued introvert began packing her school essentials inside her leathered handbag whilst avoiding the irritated glances being thrown by her classmates.

She knew she was looked down upon by too many individuals since she wasn't much of an elite like everyone else in her school.

True, she didn't come from a rich family, but her current status didn't signify she wasn't capable of pursuing a suitable career!

Despite attempting to change inexorable perspectives throughout her junior year, none seemed to care nor bother amongst her sayings. So, she gave up trying and dealt with the expected verbal criticism.