reminiscing

Fog hung over the recuperating city, where the lights twinkled like fireflies, and through the clouds' muffle and smother, the procession of the town's life continued to roll in through the talk of the Konoha citizens and the sound of strong winds.

The two youngsters who briefly shared intimacy in this peaceful setting glanced at one another, their eyes occupied with hidden sentimentality. Manaka had her gaze fixed on Naruto's startled expression, full on aware her face mirrored just his.

The ambiance felt like a lucid dream, damn near a fever hallucination. Still, the girl kept most of her nerves under control, despite the fact once hearing those three words escape his mouth caused her body system to shut down all at once.

Their cheeks were flushed red, as they were heaving deeply in and out due to the lack of air they intentionally compressed.

Naruto's mind was racing along with his heartbeat; A variety of thoughts rushed through his mind while pondering what his body prompted momentarily ago on its own.

Like: Did he seriously confess to Manaka just now? Was he even cognizant of how love works? Sure, he loves a lot of people. Yet, most of them are considered close companions. Not someone further than that.

But it felt right.

He didn't sense any doubt or uncertainty when he admitted his feelings to her. It's as if he had no control over his tongue, the words somehow magically slipping out without reluctance.

"You love me?" Manaka said breathlessly.

Naruto refused to break eye-contact. Simply nodded, pinching his brows together.

"Mhm."

Manaka's face slowly contorted from stunned to a shy smile as she inclined her shoulders and intertwined her fingers. "How can I be so sure you do?" she said, glancing down at her feet.

Naruto tilted his head as he snuck a palm around his neck and massaged the area.

"I'm not good with words, you know me heh," He paused for a second then proceeded, allowing a smile to reflect her. "But I gotta say, there's so much to love about you, Manaka. I mean, you've always supported me through it all, never opposed to anything I did—rather cheered me on and stayed by my side, especially when I needed someone the most."

He dropped his hand to his side. "I'm not sure what the universe's initiatives are, however, I believe we were intended to cross paths at some point in our lives. It's hard to explain, but we've known one other for a while, and every moment we spent together, you made me feel something I'd never felt before in my life."

Silence passed, the chirps and murmurs of the wind resonating in the air instead. The starry sky above them seemed brighter than before, pouring moon rays upon their heads and Manaka couldn't help but smile, sheepishly burying her face into her shoulder.

She didn't want him to see her face turning red.

"Hey," He playfully said. "Don't hide from me, there's nothing to be embarrassed about."

In truth, Naruto didn't care if her face changed hues. Or shapes. Or sizes. He was eager to see her— not in a creepy way of course. Just to admire the appeal of her features. He wanted to drink in, perceive her figure as much as he could before she returns home.