festival

"Slightly open your mouth for me." Kurenai sensei said, gently stroking the makeup brush dabbed with a highly pigmented velvet against Manaka's perfectly proportioned lips.

The Konoha festival was today. And, as the ninja girls had promised the out-of-this-world teen over lunch the other day, they wanted to take her to experience the once-every-year lively atmosphere on the Leaf Village's main street. Sakura, Ino, and Hinata joined forces together and brought her to Team 8's sensei, Kurenai, who was an expert when it came to applying makeup.

Manaka called it a day yesterday after being unable to summon any source of Chakra at Naruto's house. Of course, she felt bad about canceling their Ramen date, especially when she promised him a bowl of stewed pork which was typically his favorite, but she couldn't suppress the urge in keeping her eyes open. She became sleep deprived. Therefore, she returned home, flopped atop her bed and instantly drifted to sleep.

By the time morning approached, the kunoichis unexpectedly showed up at her door and roused her from her slumber. They insisted on sticking around and guiding her to the jonin-leveled prodigy, of course, with the presence of multiple bags filled with nothing but arrangements for their glamorous kimonos. Surprisingly, the preparations took all afternoon.

Kurenai grinned and sidestepped. "Now look," she commanded.

Manaka shifted her gaze and perceived herself in the full length mirror settled in the corner. She wore a beautiful black kimono, embedded with pink and red camellia flowers in the company of maroon floating down the woven material.

She had her hair tied in a bun, an exquisite red kanzashi draped around the braided edges— whereas her makeup possessed delicateness, casting utmost elegance, causing the air to trap in the middle of her throat as she couldn't believe her reflection.

With shaky pupils, she uttered. "I don't know what to say." She glanced at Kurenai. "For the first time ever, I see myself looking so..."

"Beautiful?" Sakura slyly commented.

"Breathtaking?" Ino shrugged, raising her palms while at it

"Pretty?" added Hinata as a blush adorned her cheeks.

Kurenai approached her from behind and laid her palms against her shoulders. "With or without makeup, you hold the face of an angel." She winked. "Remember, there's beauty in simplicity."

Manaka smiled.

"Alright ladies, I think we're ready." Sakura smirked, earning a chorus of triumphs from the other two kunoichis. And so it was time.

///

It felt like the entire town of Konoha was present. The sidewalks were crammed with visitors, lanterns sublimely sprawled amongst the glistening streets, and delicious aromas of various food stalls wafting through the air. Even though it was a tad claustrophobic, it certainly did cast an ambient spiritedness.

Manaka's stomach rumbled as she inhaled the savory smells. Yakisoba noodles, takoyaki, fried chicken, pastries with sweet fillings, roasted corn, gosh where to start?! A drool trickled down her mouth. Sakura emitted a chuckle as she took in her dazed expression.

"How about we get something to eat first?" The kunoichi recommended. The rest of the girls agreed and dashed over to several tents, buying nearly everything that was on display; Calories don't count when it comes to festival food. After their round of obtaining food ended, Manaka carried at least five foiled containers, each one containing either a portion of hot foods or desserts.

They all made their way down the row of tents whilst looking at the many optional traditional festival games. There was goldfish scooping, yo-yo fishing, shooting gallery, senbonbiki, and many more. A soft smile caressed Manaka's face as she watched little kids immerse themselves in the games, laughter and chatter pouring out of vendors whilst festival-goers played along.