24- You're mine

The experiment wanted to know what that meant but at the same time he feared knowing what that information would entail. There was no doubt Kirishima's words had caught him off guard and had him feeling a bit more than frightened.

Frightened because he knew, or more like he thought he'd done something wrong.

The phrase, "I like you more than I should" indicates that somewhere along the way, a boundary had been crossed. A boundary between what was right and what was wrong had been severed.

"You like me?" Yokozawa asked, his voice full of honest curiosity. His poor, adorable dense self hadn't put two and two together yet. In his mind he thought Kirishima was mad at him because they'd become close and were probably friends.

What he failed to realize is that Kirishima had phrased his feelings all wrong. He didn't mean like as in he liked him as a friend or that he admired him, no. The elder meant to say that he loved him.

"Maybe like wasn't the right word to use." The curly haired man chuckled nervously while scratching the back of his neck. "I meant to say that I love you. That I want to be the only person who brings happiness to your life."

Yokozawa could only sit there with wide eyes. His brain registered what was being said but didn't really process what it meant, or analyze what type of response was supposed to be said under these circumstances. The only organ functioning in his body was his heart, it was beating fast.

Way too fast for liking.

With a gulp, the experiment replied. "W-what do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean, but if you want to feign innocence, I guess I could go more in depth." Kirishima said, his voice playful but carrying a serious undertone. "I want to be your one and only. The person you choose to be by your side night and day. The person you choose to give the key to your heart to."

"I-I...." Yokozawa faltered completely. He couldn't come up with anything to say. Hell, he couldn't even comprehend what was going on. So he said the only thing his stubborn brain could think of. "Y-you can't be that person."

Those words should've shattered the elders confidence as well as shut down his entire mission but instead of doing that, they did the opposite. He rose to the challenge of Yokozawa denying him. Playing these cat and mouse games excited him because he knew deep down Yokozawa didn't really have a reason to not be with him.

He knew Yokozawa wanted him to.

"How can you say that? Is there someone else who holds the key to your heart? Am I too late?" Kirishima asked, his hazel eyes captivating the youngers' as he gripped his chin and brought their faces closer together. "Did someone else beat me to such a desired prize."

"N-no. It's just that-

"Then take a chance with me. I know I haven't been the best towards you, but I'm willing to do things the right way."

The experiment closed his eyes and shook his head. It's not that he didn't want to be with Kirishima, it's just that he didn't like how much power he held over him. No matter how ridiculous some of the elders requests were, he found himself willing to do them simply because it was him asking. He had to keep some of his dignity.

"Look at me. Are you saying no because there's no possibility of us ever being together or is it because you're scared?"

"I'm not scared! I just don't want to...never mind."

Kirishima tipped the younger man's face up. "Tell me. I want to know what's bothering you. I need to know."

"I don't want to ruin what we have." Yokozawa breathed out, his voice shakey. "After I bumped into your daughter and you got mad at me, we went months without really interacting. I don't want that to happen again. I don't want you mad at me."

Wait.

Yokozawa thought that they went months without interacting because he was mad. If so, that wasn't it at all. He chose not to interact with the experiment because he was only bringing unnecessary pain to his life. There were so many things going on that he couldn't afford to hurt him any further so he decided to take the coward way out and completely leave him without any answers.

And that had ended up hurting Yokozawa even more.

"I didn't go months ignoring you because I was mad." Kirishima spoke earning a tearful look from the man in front of him.

"I thought that you must've despised me to treat me in such a way. Everytime I'd walk by or even glance in your direction you'd leave. I couldn't help but think negatively." Tears pooled at the corners of Yokozawa's eyes.

He tried to hold them back, but he couldn't. One by one, the salty tears slipped down his face and fell past his cheeks.

"I did that because I wanted to give you time. As well as give myself time to see if my feelings for you were sincere. I'm really sorry that my actions were interpreted as malicious. That was my fault."

"You're....unfair. How is it that you can treat me so bad yet have the ability to make me see something good."

"I know I'm the worst person. I'm selfish, I'm childish, and I'm possessive, but I'm willing to admit it. I'm also willing to admit that you deserve better than me." The elder breathed out. "But you can't deny that you belong with me."

"Huh?"

"You belong by my side. I'm willing to accept everything about you. Each tantrum you have, each sarcastic response you give, each irritated huff you release, and each eyeroll you do is for me and me alone."

Yokozawa knew Kirishima was being sincere. There was no one else who'd accept him the way he was and he was ok with that. Because deep down, he wanted to see where this would lead him.

"Are you sure you want to be with someone like me? You already know how I am." The experiment blushed while dipping his head downwards. "If you're not completely certain, tell me now. I refuse to be toyed with."

"I'm being completely honest. I won't play with your heart or your feelings." Kirishima pecked his lips softly before trailing to his ear. "But I'll eventually play with something else, and I'm certain you'll change your mind about being toyed with because you, Yokozawa Takafumi, are mine. You belong to me."