Chapter 37

Avery's Pov

"We are gonna be seniors next year," Chloe cheered, smacking her palm on my arm repeatedly. I had to glare at her to get her to stop.

"Can you believe it?," Jake squealed like a girl earning a laugh from me. The three of us had just rounded off our last exams of the session and we were just chilling on the bleachers. The nostalgic feeling was hitting me like waves.

"This year has actually been the most memorable," Chloe admitted, picking at the narrow strips of grass that had grown out of the tiny spaces between the bleachers.

"Um no, remember in freshman year when you spilled your entire lunch on weird Steve, hilarious," I protested, bursting into a fit of laughter much to Chloe's annoyance.

Jake looked a bit lost and out of the goodness of my heart, I filled him in on the details of Chloe's mortification.

She had been complaining about how much she hated mayonnaise in her sandwich and apparently just to spite her, her brother had put some in her lunch. We hadn't seen weird Steve coming and that resulted in the collision. He was so embarrassed he didn't waste a second in the cafeteria before running to the boys bathroom.

You are probably wondering why we call him weird Steve, well, he actually had a crush on our dear Chloe but she was more than convinced that he was a creep and a stalker as he always managed to appear wherever she went. He was pretty cute in my opinion, his braces made him look a bit off but we weren't all gods and goddesses in freshman year.

After my short but very detailed tale, Jake burst out laughing, not being able to get a word in through his bouts of laughter.

"Laugh all you want people, at least I didn't have sticky Justin all over me in Sophomore year," Lucy huffed, turning away from us slightly. Jake turned to me with raised eyebrows, surely hoping to get the gist but I shoved my hand in his face, successfully distracting him and killing the mood.

We remained in silence for a while before I sighed. Chloe shot me a look, already having an idea what I was thinking about.

"You guys still haven't spoken?" She asked and from my crestfallen look, the answer was obvious. Jake rolled his eyes, he was clearly irritated.

"I don't get what his problem is, it's more than obvious, even a blind goat can see how much you guys like each other... if not love, he's just stalling," he shrugged. Chloe hooted in agreement, I wasn't about to argue with them over their over exaggerated points.

"I was the one who wanted to take things slow," I sighed, feeling like a huge bum. I wished I could take back my words and shove them in the deepest part of my mind.

Jake smirked, "and I bet you're feeling like a complete idiot right now." Chloe burst out laughing while I stared mouth open at the insufferable boy beside me. Not only was he indirectly insulting me, he was making me annoyed.

I whispered a weak 'shut up' but it only fueled their laughter. I ignored them and retreated to my thoughts.

I wondered what Noah was doing right now. We hadn't really had the chance to talk since we got back from the trip. In all honesty, I miss him, so much. I was really starting to feel like an idiot for asking for space but it seemed so right at that moment. I didn't think he would actually give me so much space that I would begin to question if he still had any interest in me.

"Come on lovergirl, I still have to talk to Mr Garrett," I grimaced at the unwarranted nickname she had given me. Chloe stood up, swiping at her plaid skirt in hopes of removing any dirt. Jake stood alongside her, his book bag hung off his shoulder lazily. I shook my head.

"You guys go ahead, I'll catch up," I waved them off, Chloe looked like she wanted to protest but Jake was already pulling her down the stairs. I followed their disappearing figures till they were completely out of sight.

Bidding my time, I grabbed my belongings before heading in the direction they had just gone in. Students littered all corners of the school, the ones that had finished their exams and were celebrating happily among themselves, others that still had a paper or two before they could celebrate, and the ones that were already thinking about how bad they must have done in the exams. I tried not to think about my results, I could only hope I passed. My staying up all night and sleeping on the way the school can't all be a waste.

I was just about to head into Mr Garrett's class in search of the others when two figures a few feet away from where I stood caught my attention. My eyes narrowed as I recognized the shaggy dark hair anywhere. Noah. And by the looks of it, Lucy had him cornered.

My feets were already moving before I could stop them. I was angry, at him, at her and at the whole situation. I was more than tired of people thinking they could push me around all the damn time. By the time I had reached them, I was fuming. My fists clenched by my sides.

It took all my willpower not to rip her probably fake extensions for even touching him instead, I lightly tapped her arm. She turned ready to bark at whoever it was when she saw me. Her scowl deepened and her lips curled. Noah noticed me too and he looked scared. Good.

"Can we help you Avery?" She had the guts to sound polite. Bitch. I plastered a fake smile on my face, hoping she would realise I could also be as fake as her.

"Yeah, if you would please get your hands off him, I would like that," I said. Her eyes narrowed in slits.

"And who do you think you are to tell me what to do with my boyfriend?" She growled. I held in a scoff at her words.

"Oh darling, I think you've greatly misunderstood me, I'll rephrase that... get your slutty fingers off his arm and step away from my boyfriend before I rip off your arm and beat you with it." I threatened with a smile. I could feel Noah's stare on me, I guess he was shocked. Lucy looked like she was about to scream but I didn't give her a chance to before pushing her aside, not carefully I must add, and wrapping both arms around a still stunned Noah's neck.

Just to prove my point, I pressed my lips against his, not knowing where the confidence came from. The feeling of urgency pooled in my tummy.

Gasps filled the halls.