5 years

The future is now, old man: a line I told my dad when I graduated. I graduated 2 years ago and not a day goes by where I don't remember my family's last attempt to take me. It will probably haunt me to my grave but I'd rather see it as a distant memory. My dad offered for me to sleep over his house that night, mostly because all the rest of the rooms on my half of the 2nd floor were compromised with blood and evidence that would lock up my father for the rest of his miserable life and my sister getting the death sentence.

I also got to adopt Nao (rather than later) and Hitoshi and I got that minivan we had joked about prior. Life kind of just fell in place for us and I couldn't be happier. I work as a sidekick for Fatgum and he's very kind about hours and whatnot.

"Ms. Y/n!" I heard now 10-year-old Nao say as he ran down the hall. "Nao you don't have to call me Ms anymore, you can just call me Y/n," I replied before taking a sip of my coffee.

"I just wanted to see if you could go to the school play tomorrow?" He asked shyly. "Of course! Hitoshi and I are going to be in the front row and embarrass you with support," I said as I ruffled his lavender hair. He laughed and pushed my hand away.

"I have to go to work now," I said as I looked at the clock, "you'll be fine on your right? If you need anything just-"

"Just call Mr. Bakugo or Mr.Aizawa or Ms.Yaoyurozu, I know!" He said with an exasperated sigh. "And me, call me, my number is on speed dial on your phone and I'll get here as fast as I can. If something really bad happens-"

"Text you 911, I know! You're going to be late! Goooo," he said as he pushed me out of the apartment. "Also don't touch the stove and be in bed by 9:30, I'll know if you're not! Do you want anything when I get back?" I asked before he could close the door on me.

"Can you get those peach ring thingies?" He asked. I nodded and closed the door. I waited to hear the clicks of the locks and then made my way downstairs to meet up with Hitoshi who started work an hour prior. He followed my dad's footsteps and became an independent hero, attached to no agency in particular.

"You gotta stop worrying about the kid, he's smart enough not to touch the stove," Hitoshi teased as I approached him. "I know, it's just jitters. He's formal, have you noticed that" I asked as we walked to my agency.

"That is weird," Hitoshi mumbled. "Yeah, do you think he's hiding something?" I asked nervously.

"Hopefully nothing damaging, we have the play tomorrow, right?" He asked, changing the topic. I nodded excitedly. "We're going to wear matching t-shirts that say 'our son is the leading actor'," I said as I pulled my phone out of my pocket to show him the picture of the shirts I had bought for that particular event.

"He's going to be so embarrassed, I almost feel bad for him," Hitoshi said with a chuckle. When we approached my stop I turned to him.

"I love you and I'll see you at 3 okay?" I said with a flirtatious grin. "Ooh, even after dating for so long I still feel butterflies in my stomach," he said quietly. "You're just a hopeless romantic," I replied and closed the space between us. I still feel goosebumps every time we kiss, there's nothing he could do to ruin that feeling of pure joy I felt when I was with him.

"I have to go, gonna be late," I whispered as I pulled away. He hummed in agreement and let me go.

"Juliet! Nice of to finally show up to your shift," Fatgum said as I was entering my entrance time. "I'll have you know I'm 3 minutes early sir," I quipped back with a wide smile, "it's 8:27 and I don't start til 8:30."

"So what's on the agenda today? Patrol and drug bust or are we doing the drug bust first?" I asked excitedly. I heard Suneater talking about doing a drug bust yesterday and I was itching to help.