⤷ twenty-eight

༄ chapter twenty eight

chapter twenty eight

-ˋˏ THE STOWAWAYS ˎˊ-

ONCE Vera learned of Kirk's greatest mistake thus far - allowing Scotty, one of Vera's closest friends and a certain comfort to her every time she entered the familiar world of the mechanics and engineering room, to quit - she was livid. Sure, she had been given reason time and time again to find Kirk an incompetent Captain, but allowing his Chief Engineering Officer to quit just because he didn't want to approve of potentially dangerous torpedos without knowing its contents was certainly among the worst. 

Though she had never kept a solid list of Kirk's flaws, as she had quite a few herself and didn't approve of pointing other's out, among his other disastrous plans was almost allowing Spock to die recently, putting Kit on a previous security detail that he was unable to complete, and, most pertaining to her situation, threatening to fire Vera, should she not comply with his wishes. Vera wasn't the type of person to so easily give in to orders, and to be given them in the way that Kirk had looked at her, fire in his eyes as he threateningly held the paper and pen to her chest, was not something she would take lying down. 

Along with her anger at Kirk, her resurgence aboard the Enterprise had only sought to remind her of her earlier disagreement with Spock over his own tendency to just throw away his life when Vera had fought so hard to keep her friends safe. 

Though her outer facade may not have shown it, Vera tended to be much too worried for her own good, just as Christopher explained to her weeks ago, particularly when it came to the safety of her friends and crew. She wouldn't venture to call Spock a close friend, though perhaps she could refer to him as something different, but he was still a part of her crew, and she knew Kirk to at least partially rely on him to run the Enterprise without as much disfunction as there may be, and so she knew that he couldn't just go around dropping himself in volcano's to help a native species destined to die. 

With her thoughts reemerging and the sadness she had once had over Christopher and Verenia's death turned to anger as the threat of John Harrison so approached, Vera had developed a sort of attitude not to be trifled with in her short time since she and Kirk's sparring match in the engine room. 

"All systems nominal, Captain." Vera heard Chekov's voice from behind a pillar of devices, watching as he spoke into his intercom diligently just before take off. 

Furrowing her brows, Vera poked her head around one of the pillars, placing a hand on one as she stared at the young Cadet, "Chekov, what are you doing?"